Question Laptop won't boot but did after disassembly.

Chris Greece

Reputable
May 15, 2015
I had a weird day. Due to a power cut my laptop shut down suddenly (i have no battery installed because I only use it on my desk connected to 2 monitors).
Anyway after the power came on I turned it on again to have the power being cut again.
When I tried powering it up the power led came on but no display.
Being an undergrad electronics engineer i decided to tear it down (that is after I tried swapping the memory modules and eliminating the hard drives)

I tore the thing up to its motherboard which I tried measuring some basic stuff (input voltage, Ic supply voltage) trying to find the cause.

When I saw that everything looked normal I tried powering the thing up and voila... it booted telling me that there was no available media (i had only the screen and power plugged in to the mb)

I thought it was a random hiccup and closed the thing up. It booted normally and then I powered it off and went to sleep.

Now the problem occurred again and I have no idea on what the cause might be. Really I have no clue or reason to suspect a specific component since I tested it even without the fan plugged in (I don't know why I have seen some weird things in electronics in the past)

I hope someone who looks at this with a fresh pair of eyes can point me somewhere.
Edit 2 : I forgot to mention that in this state I have unplugged most things from the mb trying to eliminate a faulty component but the pc won't boot

Also when it is in the state where only the power led is in the cpu gets a bit worm (with the fan inactive) like its doing something. I also tried the button on the side that gets the laptop into the boot menu /bios etc.

The laptop specs :
Lenovo G50-70
CPU :i5 4200 @ 2,4ghz
RAM :12gb of ram ( one original Samsung stick 4gb and one hyper x one I added later 8gb (same frequency))
GPU :Radeon 230m graphics (don't quote me on that It may be another series but definitely AMD Radeon discreet graphics card)
Edit : forgot the HDDs
HDDs : Samsung 840 Evo 120gb SSD (main drive)
HGST 1tb 7200 RPM mechanical (as a replacement for the cd reader)

Anyway thanks in advance.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS