Laptop won't boot, can reach bios but crashes after 10 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ii-ninecents-ii

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
I have a Toshiba Qosmio x-70 that was working perfectly until today. I turned on the laptop and it ran out of power during boot and crashed. Now i can turn it on and access the BIOS but it will automatically turn off after about 10 seconds. Do I have a corrupt BIOS or OS? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
What kind of things have you tried to do so far? Safe mode, repair, etc?

Have you tried removing the battery for 5-10 mins and then placing it back?

Also, what kind of activity were you doing beforehand? Configuring updates?

ii-ninecents-ii

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

im not sure if it is the BIOS that crashes, all I know is that I can access the BIOS or the laptop will start automatic repair, but after about 10-20 secs. the fans will run at full RPM and then it will power off.

peasethan

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
What kind of things have you tried to do so far? Safe mode, repair, etc?

Have you tried removing the battery for 5-10 mins and then placing it back?

Also, what kind of activity were you doing beforehand? Configuring updates?

Solution
I'm going to take a stab in the dark: It seems your GPU or CPU has a problem, or one or more fans do. When this happens, the fan profile/firmware forces the fans to go into overdrive, and then the system will power down shortly after that. Some laptops produce a beep code as well, some don't.

In our experience with our own systems, this is usually related to the GPU, but I can't speak for the Toshiba's systems. In any case, it sounds like hardware failure malfunction.

ii-ninecents-ii

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

I have no clue what the problem was but I removed the battery for 15 mins. and when i booted it up, everything was fine! Really weird fix but hey, im not going to argue!

peasethan

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015

Good to hear! One learns sometimes by trying many things out!

Status
Not open for further replies.