Laptop won't boot. How can i boot from usb

Alexis_19

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
I installed crimson amd driver on my laptop and something definitely went wrong because now it freezes when it get to the welcome screen. I would like to just make a clean install of windows but how can i boot from usb if i can't even get to windows?

Colif

Win 11 Master
What model laptop do you have? Try tapping F2 or Del at start up, it might get you into the BIOS as it loads before windows can.

You can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use that to make a Win 10 installer (obviously you need to do this on another PC)

Tutorial on clean installing WIn 10: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

if you want to copy anything off laptop before you fresh install, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Alexis_19

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
I was able to boot from usb and at about 25% of windows install i got a blue screen with "thread stuck in device driver". If pretty sure the APU drivers got corrupted. It's an hp pavilion with an a6-5200 if i can recall correctly. After it gets stuck on welcome screen for 20 minutes it does get to the desktop but then every action (mouse click, etc.) takes a good 20 seconds. I thought reinstalling windows would do the trick but apparently i can't. Any idea on how to remove the corrupted drivers when the system works so badly?

Colif

Win 11 Master
what type of install did you do? You should try a clean install and wipe the hdd before installing win 10 again, I have seen that thread error on forums before and it is usually associated with AMD drivers, I didn't think it could appear during an install though.

Alexis_19

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
i was able to roll back the drivers through device manager. It's a bit better now but still slower but before i installed crimson. How do i wipe the disk before installing win10? I was under the impression that intalling win10 woyld wipe the disk before installation. Would reinstaling windows get rid of any driver i installed?