Question Laptop wont boot into bios

Apr 7, 2021
Hey,

Laptop IdeaPad 330s 15ARR

With added 4GB DDR4 and 128 GB NVMe SSD separately.

I have been going back and forth between windows 10 and linux mint and now I am running Windows.
I wanted to try linux again since I like it very much but the gaming support is the thing that pushes me away.

Anyways so I was ready to install linux again, shut off the laptop and then powered it back up while spamming the F2 key which previously got me into BIOS but now it didn't work and my pc just went straight into Windows.

Also, if I push the NOVO button and enter the novo menu, any option i chose just boots Windows, no option brings me to bios, even "Boot Menu" returns me to windows.

Things i ve already tried :

Turn off fastboot
Update BIOS ( was already up to date )
Downgraded the BIOS to various versions
Remove CMOS
Remove battery and CMOS for one day
Hold power button for abrupt shutdown and power it back up while hitting F2.
Holding FN+F2
Trying every single function key
Using an external keyboard
Tried Hotkey Mode On/Off ( Read below for how i changed this bios feature )

In BIOS secure boot is off ( yes i can enter the bios, but in a very sketchy way, not the usual way )

And my laptop is 100% off, no soft shutdown or anything. I am absolutely certain that I'm correctly trying to enter BIOS since I've done this countless times.

The only way I can get into the bios is by using advanced restart feature of windows 10 but still it is not normal for me to not be able to manually enter bios after shutdown.

And I don't want to try installing linux knowing I can't get into BIOS without some OS feature because if my linux install fails somehow, and i m stuck without a functional OS then I wouldn't be able to enter it manually.

Also, I wanted to boot into some usbs and after every boot using usb sticks( i used 3 different ones ) my boot options names were doubling for example :

1st time

1.Windows Boot Manager
  1. NVME SSD
  2. HDD

2nd time
  1. Windows Boot Manager Windows Boot Manager
  2. NVME SSD NVME SSD
  3. HDD HDD

The 3rd time the names became longe, the 4th time longer, and so on and I don't know what is wrong with my laptop.

So what should I do to repair the BIOS?

Colif

Win 11 Master
In BIOS secure boot is off ( yes i can enter the bios, but in a very sketchy way, not the usual way )
what way?

Did you try this?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose UEFI Firmware Interface
PC should restart and put you in the bios

1st time

1.Windows Boot Manager
  1. NVME SSD
  2. HDD
2nd time
  1. Windows Boot Manager Windows Boot Manager
  2. NVME SSD NVME SSD
  3. HDD HDD
The 3rd time the names became longe, the 4th time longer, and so on and I don't know what is wrong with my laptop.

So what should I do to repair the BIOS?
tried resetting bios to defaults? that should clear it

Lutfij

Titan
Please don't downgrade the BIOS since you can very well end up with a bricked laptop/device. Take a look at fast boot, make sure it's disabled, prior to the OS being installed. Once OS is installed, you can enable Fast Boot. As for your dual boot, what order are you going with? Linux Install then Windows 10 or the other way around.

Speaking of which, what version of Windows 10 are you working with?

Apr 7, 2021
Did you try this?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
Choose UEFI Firmware Interface
PC should restart and put you in the bios

Yes, i said in the first post that this is the only way i can get into the BIOS.

tried resetting bios to defaults? that should clear it
Yes, tried that, didnt work

Apr 7, 2021
Please don't downgrade the BIOS since you can very well end up with a bricked laptop/device.
I know this can brick my laptop if something goes wrong, like power outage etc, but i didnt know what else to try.

Take a look at fast boot, make sure it's disabled, prior to the OS being installed.
Yes, fast boot is disabled, as well as secure boot.

As for your dual boot, what order are you going with? Linux Install then Windows 10 or the other way around.

Speaking of which, what version of Windows 10 are you working with?
I am not dual booting, I am running latest version of Windows 10.
What I'm saying is that if i boot a linux media, clean format all my drives, start installing linux and somehow it fails installing then I wouldn't be able to go back into BIOS since I wouldn't have an OS that will send me to bios.

Apr 7, 2021
What I'm saying is that if i boot a linux media, clean format all my drives, start installing linux and somehow it fails installing then I wouldn't be able to go back into BIOS since I wouldn't have an OS that will send me to bios.
This happened to me once, Linux failed to install and it was stuck in an infinite boot loop and the only solution was going to a friend and plugging in my hdd in his PC and reinstall from his PC, a pain in the a#s .

Apr 7, 2021
its not an unorthodox method, its the method created so you can get into bios if secure boot and fast startup are running. its a normal way. (fast boot in bios and fast startup in win 10 are not the same things)

And let's say my windows install gets corrupted, how do into the bios to reinstall Windows?
Other have said : remove all the drives and it will go into BIOS automatically, yes, but it would do me no good since i would have no drive plugged in and thus I wouldn't be able to reinstall an OS. Believe me, I tried that.

It's not unorthodox but it shouldn't be the only possible way to enter BIOS.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021
I have posted this multiple forums and no solution worked. Nothing works at all.

How can I repair my bios, also look at this boot order and tell me it s fine:

( All that is plugged in are HDD and nvme, but their names shouldnt be repeating )
20210420-134041.jpg