Question Laptop won't boot with 2 sticks (32gb) but boots fine with 2 sticks (24)

Feb 19, 2022
I finally decided to ante up and buy some new RAM to upgrade the DDR4 2400 mhz 2 x 8gb Kingston modules that came with the PC.

I found a good deal on some Crucial DDR4 3200 2x 16gb stick and ordered them, assuming that my mobo will just operate the new ram at a lower frequency.

my first install was both Crucial sticks and i got a blank screen.

I then tried both Crucial sticks alone in each slot. No boot, just blank.

Checked the laptop with the original Kingston sticks, booted with no issues except maybe a slight delay.

then on a whim I decided to stick one of the Crucial sticks in place of one of the Kingstons and lo and behold I got a delayed clean boot and now have a laptop running 24gb RAM.

To confirm this, I then swapped out the crucial stick for the other one: Boot.

Also booted in any combination of K + C in any slot. That's really the part that surprised me the most.

Has anyone run into anything like this before?? I ordered 2 x 16gb 2400mhz Corsair sticks to see if that might boot with both sticks.

Additional Questions:

In the BIOS the 8gb Kingston stick is listed as "Memory 1" Would swapping the 2 sticks so that the bigger and faster Crucial stick is Mem 1 have any benefits?

And is running this mismatched pair likely to perform worse(Slower) than the 16gb Kingstons in dual channel or a single 16gb Crucial stick?

Thanks a million to anyone who replies