Question Laptop won't charge anymore, burnt smell coming from it.

Ronald Colorado

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
I have a Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, the 2018 version. Today while i was using it, the laptop got a blue crash screen and started smelling like burned plastic. I turned it back on 10 mins after, and it didn't smell as much anymore but noticed the laptop didn't charged anymore. I opened it up, and saw that a little square component (see pic) next to the connection to the battery had burned up. Would love to know if this is something that can be fixed at home by buying some parts or am i going to have to buy a whole motherboard for it? I am hoping i can fix it myself, as the computer still runs fine, it just doesn't charge the battery and it doesn't power on if i disconnect the battery. So, my thoughts its whatever burned, its not letting the laptop take power.

Yx2x1Q8.jpg

Last edited:
The real question is what caused that resistor to get burned in the first place? If the cause isn't found, in all probability a new resistor will just end up getting burned like the old one.

As for whether it's a feasible DIY job to solder a new resistor on to the motherboard, I don't know.

Ronald Colorado

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
They quoted me $75 for the labor plus parts. Not sure how much would a resistor cost for this job, don't want to be overcharged for anything. This computer is heavily used daily, and out of nowhere, blue screen and a smell of burn coming from the vents. I opened the laptop as its outside the warranty already. Would the shop also be able to pinpoint the cause with the included price quoted?