Question Laptop won't go to BIOS and boot to OS after boot to Ubuntu

Sep 29, 2020
Hi all, i have a very wierd case with my Laptop, but before that here are my specs :
Laptop : Asus K46CM
Processor : Intel Core i7-3517U
Graphics : Nvidia GeForce GT635M + Intel HD 4000
Memory : 8GB DDR3 (4GBx2)

So, first of all I have a triple boot setup (Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04, Hackintosh macOS Catalina 10.15.5), in order to make use of all those 3 Operaring Systems, i used Clover bootloader (which supports 3 of those). I installed the Clover Bootloader in an external USB Flash Drive (So, I select my ext USB drive as 1st boot option in the BIOS Boot order in order to boot to Clover Bootloader.

When I'm booting Windows and macOS through the Clover Bootloader, it' s just working fine, and the BIOS Boot order still kept the setting (Ext USB Drive as 1st boot option)

When i tried to boot to Ubuntu, it boots normally, but as soon as i shutdown(or restart) the machine and turning it back on, now that the Grub Bootloader is used (but i can still boot to Windows and Ubuntu because Grub support both)

But when i want to boot to macOS, I need to use some bootloader which support macOS (in this case it's Clover bootloader) so of course i need to go onto my BIOS and set back ext USB as 1st boot option

When i press F2 to go to BIOS, my laptop did nothing (after the manufacturer ASUS Logo, the screen goes black and Hard Disk Indicator is off) now, boom... I can't go to any of the operating systems and to BIOS, (previously before booting to Ubuntu, i can go to BIOS Option without any problem) no matter what i've done (pulling out the batteries, removing Ram, Harddisk, CMOS Battery, DVD-Drive and putting them back on)

I've went to the computer repair shop twice, and the problem is fixed, but whenever i boot to Ubuntu and Grub bootloader is automatically set to default, i can't manage to go to BIOS to change the boot order..Now is the third time this laptop won't boot

I've installed the three operating systems i guess 6 months ago and switch beetween them with Clover Bootloader wothout any issues, this issue only happens now, please any help....😐😐

Hi all, i have a very wierd case with my Laptop, but before that here are my specs :
Laptop : Asus K46CM
Processor : Intel Core i7-3517U
Graphics : Nvidia GeForce GT635M + Intel HD 4000
Memory : 8GB DDR3 (4GBx2)

So, first of all I have a triple boot setup (Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04, Hackintosh macOS Catalina 10.15.5), in order to make use of all those 3 Operaring Systems, i used Clover bootloader (which supports 3 of those). I installed the Clover Bootloader in an external USB Flash Drive (So, I select my ext USB drive as 1st boot option in the BIOS Boot order in order to boot to Clover Bootloader.

When I'm booting Windows and macOS through the Clover Bootloader, it' s just working fine, and the BIOS Boot order still kept the setting (Ext USB Drive as 1st boot option)

When i tried to boot to Ubuntu, it boots normally, but as soon as i shutdown(or restart) the machine and turning it back on, now that the Grub Bootloader is used (but i can still boot to Windows and Ubuntu because Grub support both)

But when i want to boot to macOS, I need to use some bootloader which support macOS (in this case it's Clover bootloader) so of course i need to go onto my BIOS and set back ext USB as 1st boot option

When i press F2 to go to BIOS, my laptop did nothing (after the manufacturer ASUS Logo, the screen goes black and Hard Disk Indicator is off) now, boom... I can't go to any of the operating systems and to BIOS, (previously before booting to Ubuntu, i can go to BIOS Option without any problem) no matter what i've done (pulling out the batteries, removing Ram, Harddisk, CMOS Battery, DVD-Drive and putting them back on)

I've went to the computer repair shop twice, and the problem is fixed, but whenever i boot to Ubuntu and Grub bootloader is automatically set to default, i can't manage to go to BIOS to change the boot order..Now is the third time this laptop won't boot

I've installed the three operating systems i guess 6 months ago and switch beetween them with Clover Bootloader wothout any issues, this issue only happens now, please any help....😐😐
Can you remove the hdd/sdd if so i would start there and boot to bios without a drive

Sep 29, 2020
Interesting almost like it erased the bios, however it couldn't have because then it wouldn't know what to do with what. I don't know on this one
Strange, because whenever i boot windows or macos then shutdown the machine, it still kept the setting (ext USB as 1st boot option) but only in Ubuntu recently it overides Grub Bootloader as 1st boot option i guess, the machine still can boot and go to Ubuntu/Windows (through the Grub Bootloader) however, but when i want to go to BIOS to change the boot settings it won't go to BIOS and just leaves a blank screen after ASUS Logo, now that any of the Operating Systems was unbootable no matter what i've done

Maybe a bug in Ubuntu after update🤨 that kept overides the boot option? I'll be back once i fixed the problem...

Last edited: