Laptop won't hibernate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heezea

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
When I try to hibernate, the screen goes black, then immediately comes back to the log on screen; this is regardless of whether I go into hibernate via the start button, pushing the power button, or closing the lid. I have each of those methods set to hibernate.

I actually cloned my original HDD to an SSD; the original HDD was about 10GB larger than the SSD, but nowhere full. I was not experiencing any issues with the HDD. After the clone, I am not having any functionality issues besides the inability to go into hibernate mode.

Not sure how to resolve this. I'm using Win7.

The rationale for using hibernate and why this is a big deal to me is as follows. Booting take time compared to dehibernating, which is instant. Also, more importantly, I usually have at least 8 instances of word/excel/email client/PDFs/web browser open as I work on a project. I often need to power down the laptop and then continue where I left off and reopening all of those items is quite annoying. Using hibernate, I do not have to close the various documents/programs to power down. This increases my efficiency enormously. Also please note that sleeping still consumes battery power where hibernating does not consume any battery power.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1) unless you are not using your computer for 2-3 days between uses you may find Sleep more useful than Hibernate. Sleep suspends to ram, and runs an active idle that can run for ~2 weeks+ on a battery charge (if you have a modern laptop). Hibernate suspends to the HDD, and if you have a fair amount of system memory, it takes a few sec to move the system back from the HDD to system ram where it is useful again.
-Fun Fact! Win8's 'shutdown' option is really hibernate, and it defaults to sleep for most options. Restart is the only option that gives you a true fresh start in win8 with a full system boot.

2) Check your Bios, there may be a setting preventing you from a total shutdown. Just get into BIOS, set everything to defaults, restart the computer to make sure they take effect, then get into BIOS and change any custom settings back to where they are supposed to be

3) Check the registry. CCleaner has a fairly decent registry cleaner, and it may fix your issue.

Let me know if any of those worked, and I'll see if I can think of something more intelligent to try by then :D

kristjan_i

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I wouldn't recommend CCleaner unless you want to do a lot of extra work, as CCleaner deletes all file associations, and a lot of other properties to make your computer run without OS asking any questions all the time. Also it deletes thumbnail cache by default, which usually isn't that big and is recommended to keep for faster loading for folders. Registry cleaner isn't a necessity(actually has never been) since windows 6.x kernel(vista, 7, 8). If you STILL have XP, you would gain a little margin of performance, loadtime, etc. yet still messing up you file associations.

What you should do or let FixIt do it for you, i recommend doing it by yourself so you'll remember the next time you need it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

If your hdd still has windows on it, i'd recommend to defrag it beforehand and then migrate again, using Acronis or something similar, copy-pasting isn't a good idea. Also keep in mind that you need 100-350mb(depending on your OS) of free partitioned(yet hidden) space form the beginning of the disk for BitLocker. Otherwise initializing BitLocker without that extra room form the beginning of the disk, you might run into problems.

Just a further note: even if you power down your battery is being "consumed" it's something called discharging and absolutely every battery on the planet does it. So the battery life you save between sleeping and hibernating isn't that big. If you really plan to hibernate all the time then i'd recommend a restart or two in a week, as it re-initializes the kernel and reloads all the drivers correctly further fixing some of your problems.

Good luck!

Heezea

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
kristjan_i: I tried the method you proposed but no luck, I still can't get the laptop to hibernate.

CaedenV: For your suggestion 1, I really need to hibernate. I often work in the field where my battery gets pretty low and I'm unable to recharge, yet also want to avoid a total shutdown. Additionally, after the weekend, I like to dive right back in, so again, hibernate is my best option. For suggestions 2 and 3, I tried both with no luck, I still can't get the laptop to hibernate.

Thanks for your recommendations. Any other suggestions?

kristjan_i

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
1) http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

2) Reinstall video drivers

3) hibfile.sys is a real bummer, locked me out from booting successfully, reinstalling windows 7 with the amount of ram you have should automatically use some amount of your SSD to make the hibfile.sys.

4) Your LAN or Wireless adapter might be stopping you from hibernating, trying to change the adapter settings via power management might help.

Heezea

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
kristjan_i,

Thanks again,

1) Tried all steps and also the steps in increasing hibfile.sys to 100%; no luck.
2) Tried this, no luck.
3) Reinstalling Win7 is not an option.
4) Went through all power management options and disabled any kind of wake except for power button. I made sure no option said "never" under go to hibernate.

another shot in the dark; go into your settings and disable hibernate, and then re-enable it

I think Kristjan_i is on to something with the drivers. I have had times where a windows or driver update will make my desktop not want to sleep, only to have the sleep option start working a few days later when a fix comes out. So try either rolling back your drivers to a time when it did work, or else start updating drivers and windows to see if one of them is giving you an issue

pdsivad

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

I know this is an old thread but if anyone else is having this issue try the following.
Control Panel>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change advanced power settings>sleep options>Allow wake timers setting = disable

chvrchco

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
I had the same problem for a long time - till today. I finally found some time to try a solution that I read about earlier somewhere and - IT WORKS PERFECTLY! Namely, after installation of Windows 7 Ultimate I had the usual 100 MB (hiden) partition (as kristjan_i mentioned here, for BitLock purpose, which I never used). And after removing that partition my hibernate works again.

The procedure was the following:

1. Removed the BitLock partition by following the post at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

2. Resized the Windows 7 partition in two steps, by using the MiniTool Partition Wizard: a) moved Win 7 partition to the left at the beginning of the disk; b) extended that partition on the right side up to the disk limit. I must say that I was astonished on how easily, neatly and fast this tool made these actions, including all needed parameter adjustments in the system files. And moreover, all that "in vivo", without the need to reboot the system! It seemed like making the surgery of switching the left and right sides of brain without asleeping the patient!!!

Of course, take care of preparing all of necessary backup copies and tools before starting the "surgery". Luckily, I didn't need to use it, but you never know, Murphy is working overtime. Have a good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.