Laptop won't maintain internet connection

Matthew Proctor

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I just bought a new Asus Laptop. It runs windows 8 (unfortunately, but I've learned to use it), but has issues maintaining its internet connection. It will sometimes say it's connected for a minute, but then lose the connection as soon as I refresh the browser. Other times it will connect and say that the connection is "limited" but still won't work when I refresh the browser. Sometimes I can use it for a couple of hours, other times for just a few minutes before the internet messes up. I just bought it, and to my knowledge have kept the drivers updated. Often resetting our wireless modem and/or our router will fix it, but sometimes it doesn't seem to help at all.

Also, not sure if it's related, but sometimes, my old XP desktop will lose the internet connection, however resetting the the computer fixes that every time. We have 3 other computers in our house besides the two I mentioned and none of them seem to have this problem.

Any ideas?

hmm it since you said one other computer does this what are you using for a router? also it could be corrupt drivers but i would try going to device manager and uninstalling the network driver then hit search for changes and it will reinstall itself. it should help fix the problem, that or its a router/modem issue, but it could be your network card,

is this on wifi or wired?

ahh beat me to it, i was trying to think of what to say. i know if its a linksys they like to be restarted every month or else the develop weird problems.

i wouldnt say its the lease times since there are only a couple devices on the network, if your range was very full that would be my first guess

Try updating your wireless drivers and also check what channel you are using in your router you may have interference with another wireless