Laptop won't shut down, cpu seems to be running at 100% based on the heat generated

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Hey, I could use some help getting this laptop fixed. It has been unable to shut down for a while, so I replaced the failing hdd with an ssd and did a clean windows install hoping that it would fix it, but there has been no change.

Here's what happens. When I shut down the laptop through windows, it acts like it is working for about 5-10 minutes. Everything is quiet and cool, but the power led is still on. After a while, the cpu clock speed clearly ramps up - emitting a ton of heat and causing the cpu fan to spin up. There is no display or keyboard lights, and the only indicators that it is still on are the power led, the cpu fan, and the heat generated from the cpu. It will then sit in this state indefinitely unless I do a hard restart.

Any ideas?

Solution
Switch the bluetooth off and uninstall Intel driver then restart. Let windows install on its own. Windows provides better wifi driver than Intel

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
It's a Lenovo Y500 running a i7-3630QM @ 2.4 GHz.
12 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 800MHz
Geforce GT 750M 2GB
Samsung M.2 16GB
Crucial SSD 250GB

Oh, and no there is not anything blocking the vents. I just recently took it apart and cleaned it/repasted and modded some extra cooling in there. It's running much cooler than ever so I don't think heat is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.