Laptop won't start after BSOD driver issues

wantoosoon

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Hello, can anyone help, please? I have Windows 10 and an HP laptop.

Today I started getting a BSOD error "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE". This happened repeatedly a couple of minutes after starting the laptop. I found a thread on Microsoft answers about this issue which suggested it was a driver fault. I followed the instructions and ran Driver Verifier.

On restarting the laptop, the verifier found a violation almost immediately, but didn't name the offending driver. The computer restarted, crashed, restarted, then a message appeared about Windows repair or recovery - I'm not quite sure. This ran for a minute, then I got another screen saying Windows couldn't start and I was given the option to do a system restore. I selected this option and the computer restarted yet again.

However, on restart nothing happened for 30 minutes - just a blank grey screen. I did a hard restart (holding down the power button), and I got a black screen with a blue HP logo and a moving circle of white dots below it. I left it for an hour, but nothing further happened. I've tried a couple more hard restarts, and each time I get the grey screen or the HP screen, but nothing happens, even after two hours.

I'm a bit desperate to get this fixed as I have work to do today. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you!

wantoosoon

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
OK, after coming out of UEFI firmware settings, having apparently achieved nothing, the computer went into auto repair mode again, and this time it successfully restored Windows. I don't know why, but I'm very glad it worked!

Best wishes!