[SOLVED] Laptop won't turn on after reinstalling hdd

Jul 2, 2021
So, today I decided to change the thermal paste of my computer. It went well, the computer turned on after and everything was just fine. The thing is, I forgot one of the ram sticks outside (opsie) and had to open it again and reinstall it. To do that I had to remove the HD once again. And so I did, however this time, the HD slipped and I ended up cutting out about of a black strip that the HDD had, aside from that, nothing worth noting... The thing is, my pc turned on for about 1 second and then went off and simply wouldn't turn on after (literally no fans spinning or any other sign of work) and I also started to feel a strange smell coming around the area of hd, ssd and ram slots.

I tried my ram stick slot on the notebook of a friend, and it is fine. The HDD however was not recognized. If the problem is indeed only the HD, I am fine with it, but wouldn't a computer turn on even without a HD or ssd? I might have no storage right now, but I have a working ram and I would like to think that my CPU and gpu are fine aswell (after the repaste, they were running at about 60 degrees during a stress test).

I already tried getting rid of the static energy, it did not work. Tried removing the CMOS battery for a while, did not work. My fear is that it is either the gpu or CPU (even though I dont have reasons to think so?).

Also, note that there is current going through the computer. Here is some photos of the computer and stuff: View: http://imgur.com/a/bE6UO9x

I would EXTREMELY appreciate any help. My model is a Asus gl703vm

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you point out exactly where the tape in the picture was located? The need for insulation or tape to isolate components from being a cause for grounding with the chassis or other components in a laptop, which can also happen due to the soldering points on the motherboard making contact with a device/hardware/chassis. I think you crossed the wires with that odd way you took the HDD out from the laptop and in turn it caused a short, that lead to an electrical fire, hence the burning smell.

You're also advised to disconnect the battery from the laptop before you remove other components in your laptop. Try removing the CMOS battery, the physical battery and then the HDD. Replace the CMOS battery...

Lutfij

Titan

Could you point out exactly where the tape in the picture was located? The need for insulation or tape to isolate components from being a cause for grounding with the chassis or other components in a laptop, which can also happen due to the soldering points on the motherboard making contact with a device/hardware/chassis. I think you crossed the wires with that odd way you took the HDD out from the laptop and in turn it caused a short, that lead to an electrical fire, hence the burning smell.

You're also advised to disconnect the battery from the laptop before you remove other components in your laptop. Try removing the CMOS battery, the physical battery and then the HDD. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes, then try powering the laptop up without the physical battery(using the wall outlet/adapter).

Solution
Jul 2, 2021

You're also advised to disconnect the battery from the laptop before you remove other components in your laptop. Try removing the CMOS battery, the physical battery and then the HDD. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes, then try powering the laptop up without the physical battery(using the wall outlet/adapter).

I have already removed the Cmos battery and left it out for 20min (can't remember if the battery was disconnected tho). It did not work. Would 10min make that much of a difference?

The tape is glued to the hdd. The portion that was removed is so minor that I honestly think that the hdd still as isolated as before.

I honestly have given up at this point. I just don't know if I will need to buy a whole other computer or sending it to technical assistance is going to suffice.