Question Laptop won't turn on. Is it the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apiltch

Editor-in-Chief
Editor
Sep 15, 2014
My wife's Asus ZenBook UX431F had worked fine for several years and then yesterday, in the middle of her using it (plugged in), it turned itself off and would not turn back on under any circumstances. It would not even show a charging light with the AC adapter plugged in.

I opened up the laptop, disconnected the battery and now the charging light will illuminate. However, it still won't turn on, with or without the battery connected. I could spend $70 to buy a new battery, wait two weeks for it to arrive and it may not solve the problem. Or I can just junk the laptop and buy her a new one that's guaranteed to work. If we buy the battery and it doesn't work, we can't return it so it's $70 wasted.

The laptop is way past warranty so contacting Asus to fix it is not an option.

Could be either power adapter or onboard charging circuit. Adapter is easy. Motherboard is much more problematic and would likely be easier to simply replace the laptop. Battery, even if worn out, wouldn't be able to prevent the laptop powering up on the adapter when removed.

Apr 4, 2023
It sounds like you have already tried some troubleshooting steps, such as disconnecting the battery and trying to turn on the laptop with just the AC adapter. If those steps did not work, there may be a more serious hardware issue at play.

Before you decide to junk the laptop, you could try some additional troubleshooting steps. For example, you could try resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery or resetting it through a jumper on the motherboard. You could also try reseating the RAM and the hard drive to ensure they are properly connected.

If these steps do not work, it may be best to purchase a new laptop rather than investing more money into an old one that may not work. If you do decide to purchase a new laptop, make sure to properly dispose of the old one by recycling it or donating it if it is still in usable condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.