Question Laptop won't turn on

Jun 10, 2019
I got a laptop from a friend (Asus x542UN) with corrupted HDD which only boots to the bios. After I opened it to remove the HDD, now it won't turn on without AC power. Also, it automatically turns on when plugged in (It actually fails the first time and then restart again itself). Only other things I did was a BIOS reset to the default values and usual windows recovery console commands to try to fix the old windows installation.

BIOS screen shows 100 battery. I plugged an HDD from another laptop and booted to Windows, it also shows100 battery (Not sure they are accurate because it's from a different laptop, many drivers are missing). I got a battery report and it shows cycle count as 6 so it's a fairly new battery.

The battery indicator blinks white when it's turned on and stop blinking while remains lit when turned off (with still plugged in). If I remove the battery it becomes orange (Which means low battery I think but there is no battery). Also, I noted the time is resetting when I turn off by unplugging from power. is that has anything to do with CMOS battery? it's under the Motherboard so not feel right to open it after what happened.

I tried removing the battery and pressing the power button thing but didn't work. I'm going to buy a new HDD and install windows soon but since it didn't have any OS when this happened I feel like I should be able to fix it without windows. Is there anyone who can give any advice other than buying a new battery?

Jun 10, 2019
Try removing any external devices connected to the laptop, remove the battery, unplug the adapter from the laptop, hold the power button down for 15 seconds, reinstall the battery and hit restart. See if this helps.
Thanks, I tried that few times but nothing happened. I saw people claim they got lucky after several tries so I'll try that again a few times.

Jun 10, 2019
My only other suggestion would be to pull the memory and reseat it. And since your date and time resets every time I would look into replacing the CMOS battery it may be dead.
Thanks again! reseating the RAM also didn't make any difference. CMOS battery is not accessible without taking the motherboard out so I'm not touching it.

TRENDING THREADS