Question Laptop wont update to 1809

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try downloading the Media Creation tool - 2nd link on this page - and use it to update laptop

It sort of depends on age of device as to whether Win 10 will offer an update. in many cases, you might only get 1809 once the next version has been out 6 months and its time to move everyone onto 1809. Its possible it needs a driver update before it will offer the update.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Try downloading the Media Creation tool - 2nd link on this page - and use it to update laptop

It sort of depends on age of device as to whether Win 10 will offer an update. in many cases, you might only get 1809 once the next version has been out 6 months and its time to move everyone onto 1809. Its possible it needs a driver update before it will offer the update.

Is there any potential risk in updating this way? As in if it is preventing me because of a driver then will force installing an update cause stability issues?
It is a brand new Razer Blade 15 and I just got all my files on it and everything set up. I did notice the drivers at least for the GPU are quite old (391) from like this time last year.

Last edited:
Nope that is Microsoft's own media creation tool, designed to update windows 10 in situations like this where windows update cannot for some reason.

I've updated almost all my computers to 1809, but for some reason my HTPC will not update. Not sure why. Seems like a clean reinstall is the only solution (but try that as a last resort).

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Nope that is Microsoft's own media creation tool, designed to update windows 10 in situations like this where windows update cannot for some reason.

I've updated almost all my computers to 1809, but for some reason my HTPC will not update. Not sure why. Seems like a clean reinstall is the only solution (but try that as a last resort).
So I went ahead and used the Creation Tool to do the update and it worked, however it gave me the message that "Intel Audio Display (intcdaud.sys), KB 4465877" causes instability issues on 1809 and it offered to disable it (which I did) and then proceeded to install the update.
So apparently that is the driver, besides the to 24.xxxxx--- video drivers that have been reported to cause it.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I did find this just now...https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4465877/what-needs-your-attention-intel-audio-display-notification

In short it says that the driver may result in excess CPU usage that affects battery life and that the page will be updated when a compatible intel driver is released.... that was Oct 2nd.. Should I revert back now? I honestly havent used this computer long enough to have a good idea of the battery life..

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
what make/model laptop is it? Have you looked on its webpage to see if newer driver released yet?
Its a Razer Blade 15 advanced (2018) and no there was no mention of this on Razer's forums, and probably not surprisingly talking to Razer & MS support yeilded no results. The issue is just with the Intel Audio Display Driver IntcDAud.sys, you must update the intel graphics driver to version 24.20.100.6286 which bundles the Audio Display driver , Win10 blocks you from the 1809 download until this driver is installed.

I have a 5 month old Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop that hasn't gotten the 1803 update either. In looking at Device Manager I don't see the IntcDaud.sys driver, and there're no ! or ? next to any entries.
I don't worry about it though because my laptop is working just fine without any problems, installing monthly cumulative updates, and there's nothing in the 1809 update that I need or want. I practice the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. If I want to play with the "latest and greatest" from MS, I have 3 desktops with the latest Insider builds (both Fast and Skip rings).

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I have a 5 month old Dell Inspiron 5570 laptop that hasn't gotten the 1803 update either. In looking at Device Manager I don't see the IntcDaud.sys driver, and there're no ! or ? next to any entries.
I don't worry about it though because my laptop is working just fine without any problems, installing monthly cumulative updates, and there's nothing in the 1809 update that I need or want. I practice the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. If I want to play with the "latest and greatest" from MS, I have 3 desktops with the latest Insider builds (both Fast and Skip rings).

I gotta say, having the Dark themed File Explorer is pretty great.. so much easier on them eyes.

For me I just wanted a mirror of my desktop as much as possible.

Colif

Win 11 Master
To ensure a seamless experience, we are blocking devices from being offered Windows 10 version 1809, until updated Intel device drivers are installed on your current operating system. We recommend that you do not attempt to manually update to Windows 10, version 1809, using the Update Now button or the Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft Software Download Center until newer Intel device drivers are available with the update. You can either wait for newer drivers to be installed automatically through Windows Update or check with your computer manufacturer for the latest device driver software availability and installation procedures. For more information about this issue, see Intel's customer support guidance.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...ur-attention-intel-audio-display-notification

looks like you stuck until Intel update their drivers.