Question Laptops boots to Welcome/Lock Screen, but won't open box to enter PW ?

Mar 7, 2024
I don't have a full specs list but: I believe it's just the flagship HP Laptop. When I bought it, it just let's you change what CPU, RAM, and SSD. In my BIOS it just says Product Name - HP Laptop.

CPU- Intel Core i5-1135G7
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: 1TB

The update was an (optional feature, I believe) OS update, not an update for any Store apps, or Software.

I had an update a few days ago so I clicked update.
While it was installing I was dilly dallying and then it needed to restart after the update. After restarting it brings up the Welcome page with the clock. (background picture seems to have changed to a blue Default windows one, which I don't recall doing.)
From this Welcome screen I'd usually just hit spacebar or enter for it to bring up the box where I enter my password. Now, whenever I hit spacebar, or enter it flashes the profile picture (acts like the password box is coming up) and then returns to just showing the clock.
I've read others just hit ctrl+alt+delete to refresh the screen, but as soon as I hit any combo of those it immediately flashes the profile picture and it's back to just the clock.

Literally, no matter what I do I can't even get my accounts profile picture nor (more importantly) the password box to come up. It seems like something too ridiculous to reinstall windows over because there's gotta be a simple explanation.

I just bought the laptop last year brand new.

If anyone could help me avoid a full reinstall pleeeease help!

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024
I don't have a full specs list but: I believe it's just the flagship HP Laptop. When I bought it, it just let's you change what CPU, RAM, and SSD. In my BIOS it just says Product Name - HP Laptop.

CPU- Intel Core i5-1135G7
RAM: 16 GB
SSD: 1TB

The update was an (optional feature, I believe) OS update, not an update for any Store apps, or Software.

I had an update a few days ago so I clicked update.
While it was installing I was dilly dallying and then it needed to restart after the update. After restarting it brings up the Welcome page with the clock. (background picture seems to have changed to a blue Default windows one, which I don't recall doing.)
From this Welcome screen I'd usually just hit spacebar or enter for it to bring up the box where I enter my password. Now, whenever I hit spacebar, or enter it flashes the profile picture (acts like the password box is coming up) and then returns to just showing the clock.
I've read others just hit ctrl+alt+delete to refresh the screen, but as soon as I hit any combo of those it immediately flashes the profile picture and it's back to just the clock.

Literally, no matter what I do I can't even get my accounts profile picture nor (more importantly) the password box to come up. It seems like something too ridiculous to reinstall windows over because there's gotta be a simple explanation.

I just bought the laptop last year brand new.

If anyone could help me avoid a full reinstall pleeeease help!
I was just thinking of any changes I might have made before I did the Update Restart, and was go ogling for useless services I could disable. I'm now wondering if I disabled something that caused this. But I can't for the life of me remember what they were. Regardless I can't Re-enable them now anyway. I admit I find myself trying to "Optimize" my laptop and occasionally create issues but I can normally fix it.