[SOLVED] Laptop's built-in display previously ran at 90Hz, now it's capped at 60Hz ?

Trance135

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515 laptop. Its built-in display is capable of a 144Hz refresh rate, and it previously defaulted to 90Hz.

I recently updated my drivers (using the Intel UHD Graphics 630 DCH drivers from the Intel website), and since then my laptop's display has been stuck at 60Hz. The display definitely supports 1920x1080 at 144Hz (as shown here in the Intel Graphics Command Center), but it seems arbitrarily locked at 60Hz. The only other option is 59Hz.

I have tried using CRU to manually set my refresh rate but that hasn't worked. I tried rolling back my drivers but that didn't work either. What's the issue with my display?

Last edited:
Solution
Open a 3D game in window mode, and then alt-tab out the game onto the windows desktop. Does the selection in Nvidia control panel show up then? Can you select 144hz inside the game's graphic options?

Pretty much all laptops run through the iGPU to the built in monitor. It even shows it in the nVidia control panel. Neither of my laptops exhibit this issue and they're 144hz.
I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515 laptop. Its built-in display is capable of a 144Hz refresh rate, and it previously defaulted to 90Hz.

I recently updated my drivers (using the Intel UHD Graphics 630 DCH drivers from the Intel website), and since then my laptop's display has been stuck at 60Hz.

That could be the problem as you should only source laptop drivers from your laptop manufacturer's website.
Try using "Roll Back Driver" button in Device Manager.

Trance135

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
Thank you, that helped. I redownloaded the driver from my manufacturer's website and I've now been able to get it back up to 90Hz.

How can I get it to 144Hz now? Are those 'Supported Modes' in the Intel Command Centre even accurate? Is there a way to confirm if my laptop supports that refresh rate?

Further research tells me that only the high-performance Nvidia GPU on your laptop supports 144Hz refresh-rate, the Intel iGPU doesn't support it.

So you need to open the Nvidia Control Panel to select 144Hz, not the Intel Graphics Command Centre.

Have a look at the Nvidia CP screenshot in the second post here

Trance135

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
When I open the Nvidia Control Panel, this is what I see. Essentially, there is no display section which would allow me to change the resolution of my in-built monitor. This section does appear if I connect an external monitor to the laptop with an HDMI cable but, of course, that is irrelevant right now.

The issue seems to be that the Intel integrated graphics are in control of the resolution and refresh rate of my in-built monitor. Is there a way to have them be controlled by the Nvidia card instead?

Open a 3D game in window mode, and then alt-tab out the game onto the windows desktop. Does the selection in Nvidia control panel show up then? Can you select 144hz inside the game's graphic options?

Pretty much all laptops run through the iGPU to the built in monitor. It even shows it in the nVidia control panel. Neither of my laptops exhibit this issue and they're 144hz.

Solution