Laptops May Get MagLev Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
****in' magnets, how do they work?

I know right? It does seem a bit odd that something so small can defy the gravitational pull of the planet earth. But they do work, so why question it?

I embrace the death of membrane keyboards. Can't wait. I hope they make replacements for existing laptops.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This couldn't possibly use less power than a "traditional keyboard"...

Plus, what if you accidentally put something that is sensitive to magnitivty on it, like a jump/zip/whatever drive? Or even your credit/debit card?

usbgtx550

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Thanks for that heads up

dstarr3

Distinguished
If you were to take apart a hard drive, you'd find an absurdly strong neodymium magnet that suspends the read/write arm. And that's less than inch from the platters, yet they fair okay. So I wouldn't worry about that. Energy consumption, however, is was gets me. Seems like a waste of electricity, really.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I would imagine these laptops would be limited to ssd's unless a solution can be made where the magnets won't damage a hdd

Who in his right mind buys a PC/Laptop without an SSD nowadays

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I for one welcome our new maglev overlords.

As long as it still has the nice clicky feel of a mechanical I'd be willing to try it. I have a strong suspicion that people who suck at typing tried to learn on a membrane keyboards.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
****in' magnets, how do they work?

I know right? It does seem a bit odd that something so small can defy the gravitational pull of the planet earth. But they do work, so why question it?

I embrace the death of membrane keyboards. Can't wait. I hope they make replacements for existing laptops.

The pull of gravity is relatively weak; you can easily overcome it every time you stand up or throw a wad of paper across the room (before it lands in the trash).
I'm not sure if something like this could be retro-fitted into existing laptops, but it would be a nice upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.