Laptops no longer connected to internet through wifi

platon1

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Hello,

I recently ran into trouble accessing the internet from my desk. For the past 5 months I've been using my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7110) at my desk. Other laptops and phones can still connect to the router around the house. I'm trying to connect on 2.4GHZ 'N' network.

I got a new laptop 2 days ago (HP Probook 4740s), I set it up etc, I connected to the wifi, it connected, but it would not access the internet. I updated the drivers etc, to no avail.

I left it till the next day, but then my old laptop (Inspiron 7110) wouldnt access the net either. Whereas previously it had.

So I now have two laptops that wont access the internet from my desk, whereas they previously would.

The laptops connect to the wifi however. But they will only connect to the internet if very close (~5ft away from the router, a virgin media superhub 2) to the router. They remain connected to the wifi however everywhere around the house.

Windows says the laptops have internet connection, but I cant load any webpages. Although the internet sometimes works for 30 secs when I restart the laptop.

I used inSSIDer on both laptops to see the signal strength and choose the emptiest channel.

The Inspiron has a signal strength of -50dbm and the HP -65dbm when placed on the desk (not sure why the HP has a lower score).

I pinged the router, and they can connect to it from the desk. I also pinged google from the laptops, and thats mainly successful, it does time out on occasion briefly.

Both laptops run windows 7, the inspiron has a Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030 wifi adapter and the HP has a Railink RT3290 802.11bgn card. I put both on maximum performance and highest roaming sensitivity under the power management settings, but that made no difference.

The only antivirus on either laptop is Microsoft security essentials.

Windows IP Configuration for HP:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24ba:c796:1053:ce1a%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{B8FA3C82-9B13-4514-92F5-41FF5B4455EB}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:809:15a2:a150:db56
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::809:15a2:a150:db56%17
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Any ideas on whats wrong?

Thank you in advance

platon1

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
Hi,

The laptops can still connect to the router and have internet access, it just needs to be very close to the router, so I know the adpter is enabled. I've looked through the bios, can't see a setting that has been changed to cause me the issues I'm facing.

jaggedIT

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

then its a firmware setting in the router limiting the range... call your ISP and get them to update your router firmware!!! and that should fix it