[SOLVED] Laptops processor stuck at 1ghz?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
The processor(520m) in my latitude e6410 is stuck at 1-1.2ghz? I stressed tested the processor in both windows and linux and the processor speed never goes above 1.2ghz. I've checked the processor temps and they hover around 55-60 with 100% load. Both turbo boost and speed step is enabled in bios.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Have you loaded appropriate chipset drivers within Windows? (default drivers from MS not always best) I've seen a few systems not turbo correctly until after manufacturer-provided chipset drivers, WIndows updates, and yet one more reboot!
I've installed chipset drivers downloaded from Dell's website, made sure windows was up to date, and made sure power plan was set to performance. I've installed I7z in Linux and it's reporting speeds of 1.1 and 1.2ghz. Idle, I7z reports a multiplier of 9x, under load it's reporting a multiplier of 10x. Could me using a HP charger instead of a Dell charger be the possible cause?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes, get a genuine Dell charger--the newer Dells have gotten smart about having the right charger.

If the battery still works, see if you can get full performance on the battery. If you can, it confirms that the power supply is the issue.
I have no clue if the original battery works, as the laptop was given to me without the battery and power adapter. I've updated the bios(used command line to by pass battery and A/C check) and it made no difference. I have noticed that disabling Speedstep, it idles at 1.6ghz and clocks up to 2.4ghz under load.

I have no clue if the original battery works, as the laptop was given to me without the battery and power adapter. I've updated the bios(used command line to by pass battery and A/C check) and it made no difference. I have noticed that disabling Speedstep, it idles at 1.6ghz and clocks up to 2.4ghz under load.
Speedstep was a bit of pain on some dell units, actually restricting the speed vs helping. So I think you found the problem. :)