Question Laptops that do not throttle on battery

crysisftw

Reputable
Apr 17, 2017
Hello.
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 7577 (2018) with i7 7700HQ and 1060 graphics card and 4K display. Although everything seems to be working fine (except the keyboard), I'm quite unhappy about the performance of this laptop. Whenever I unplug it from AC adapter, the performance of the laptop is severely restricted. It seems that the GPU shuts down completely, and the CPU doesn't go any higher than 800MHz which defeats the whole point of portability as I'm unable to get any work done on pro apps or anything else without a severe lag as compared to being on AC power.

I understand this would be done to save battery for some time and because batteries are not really designed to handle the complete power requirements of CPU + GPU running on full chat.

I want to ask, if there exists a laptop, which does not throttle when on battery. Maybe it allows the GPU to function on battery and for CPU to go beyond its lowest state? I don't care about brand or money, just as long as it performs on battery. Could be Apple, Dell, MSI, Asus...anything...

Go into the BIOS and power options in Windows and set things to full power when on battery if that is what you want. There is a reason by default laptops drop power on battery, so they can actually run on battery for a decent amount of time. If you force it to be on max power all the time you will drop battery life by a lot. All laptops do this.