Laptop's Video Card Not Found (other problems, too)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyTea

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Hi, my laptop (MSI GT70 0NC-008US) has recently just completely screwed up.

When it boots, its fan turns on 100%. Moreover, it doesn't recognize my dedicated graphics card (nVidia GTX 670M).

These issues came up when my computer crashed during a game and rebooted with the fan on max. Therefore, I decided to go into safe mode and use DisplayDriverUninstaller to uninstall my nVidia drivers for a clean reinstall (I had been having problems with the nvlddmkm.sys/dgxkrnl.sys BSOD), hoping it would fix the issue.

But now, the fan issue is still here, and device manager labelled my 670M as an unknown device. I then - stupidly - uninstalled the unknown device's driver's and disabled it from via device manager. Now I'm stuck and alone. Please help? Thanks!

IcyTea

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Hi, thanks for the reply! What do you mean by laptop support pages? I've downloaded the most recent installer for the 670M drivers, but the installer says that it doesn't detect anything. Is there a way to install the drivers regardless?

skitszo

Honorable
the driver won't install if you burnt out your gpu as AFAIK.

so.. try this... get to device manager. then on the very top icon(your computer) right click and "scan for hardware changes" it should detect the unkown device and show up as needing a driver.

now does the driver you have self install? or does it make you go find the file and manually point to it? some drivers don't actually install they only unzip into a file. then you have to tell the device where to go to update.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
I'd think they're be a bigger indication if he burnt out the gpu. You could always open it up oh right laptop. Some laptops allow you to take out the gpu but those are fairly rare. I say check the drivers device manager. If all else fails RMA if its under warranty.

IcyTea

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

I've tried scanning but I still don't see it in the device manager, unfortunately.

IcyTea

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

I've taken out the GPU and reinserted it, and while doing so, reapplied thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. Didn't make a difference. Unfortunately, this laptop was purchased in 2012 so its warranty is definitely gone.

IcyTea

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Yeah, that's probably what I should do. I don't know if I can fix the fan issue, though.

IcyTea

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

It's on max when the computer boots up and it won't stop spinning this fast. It's as if the laptop's [Turbo] function is on all the time.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Usually fans are at max rpm whenever a system starts. That said you could probably lower them in a bios. You should probably run some temp tests while you're at it to make sure they should be running that fast in the first place.

IcyTea

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

Yeah, it's been weird because the fans are way louder than they were and the temps are all fine from my tests.

Probably gonna look into new laptops later.

Status
Not open for further replies.