LARGE 120Hz, 2ms monitor

mahonlab

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I'm looking for a monitor that can receive a 120Hz+ input and can output the signal at an equally fast speed. The monitor needs to have a refresh time <=8ms, preferably 4ms or 2ms, as the computer will be connected to eye and limb tracking devices, and the monitor will need to update based on eye and body positions as close to real time as possible. The monitor should be between 40"-60". I will be testing patients with various types of neurological issues, so quality and precision is important, cost is not.

I've tried various websites and companies (Acer, Planar, Samsung, NEC, etc.), but I can usually only manage to contact sales, not tech support. On the rare occasion I do reach tech support, "tech" is used too loosely.

Does anyone know of any makers or models that definitively meet these criteria or know a straightforward method to find such models? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know of no monitors that are larger than 30"-32" and know of no TV's that have the ability to accept 120 FPS of input.

If you are to have a chance at finding what you want, look for a 120hz TV that has HDMI 1.4b (The "b" is the key) connectors. HDMI 1.4b allows for 120hz on a PC at 1080p. This is a new standard, so only the very newest TV's would have a chance, and often retailers do not specify anything other than HDMI or HDMI 1.4, even if they support 1.4a or 1.4b (again, you need the b). You might have to search for spec sheets on the TV's to know if it is supported.

^^^

But HDTVs do not accept 120Hz inputs, only 60Hz. The internal electronics does interpolation which doubles the frame rates by taking two actual frames and estimating what the frame in between them will look like, and then display that interpolated frame. This takes a little bit of time to do so there is a bit of input lag involved.

So... All HDTV = 60Hz (or frames) in, and 120Hz (or frames out). And add a dash of input lag.

Since HDMI 1.4b is out, that may change when TV's actually support it. I don't know if any do yet, but it is now possible.

mahonlab

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
From what I've found out about TVs, they ONLY receive a 60Hz input (or will only read up to 60Hz) because that is simply the convention for television broadcast. They take that signal and duplicate or triplicate the frame, either by repetition or averaging to advertise a higher refresh rate. However, this could be changing as customers' demands shift.

I didn't know there was any type of HDMI that supported 120, but that's helpful to know.