[SOLVED] Large Format 4k: LG CX48 vs Asus Swift PG43UQ 4k

HeelHook

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hey gang,
Been researching around for a decent chunk of time at this point and here’s the situation:
  • I’ll be driving the display with a RTX3080, i9-10900k, 64g ram, etc.
  • Larger format and 4k are a must, as is 120 or greater hz, and a snappy response time.
  • Like the ~$1300-1600 price range, but if there’s something I’m missing a bit over that range, cool.
  • Will be wall mounted with a deep desk below it, so viewing distance isn’t an issue (but not >50in)
After reading everything I could on options that fit the above criteria, I basically came down to either the LG CX 48, or the ASUS Swift PG43UQ 4k. I was originally all in on the Swift, but after another couple days of scouring the web, I’m now heavily leaning towards the LG CX 48.

This will be used almost exclusively as a PC monitor (I’ll watch sports on it time to time, but not enough).

In terms of games played, I definitely love fast paced single player games (FPS, racing, fighting) as well as immersive adventures like AC Odyssey, and look forward to seeing Cyberpunk in all it’s full glory. That said, I almost never play games at a CS:GO pace/level of competitiveness, and only occasionally play online action games. While not demanding at all, I do play fine detail games like strategic turn based RPG’s as well.

My main questions/concerns I was wondering if the fine folks here can help me with are:
-Burn-In: Never really owned a display that it is an issue with, and the only knocks I’ve seen on this display is the burn-in (albeit even those are fairly rare). I’m going to try to get it thru best buy for a protection plan for burn, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this monitor for that reason? Does it have any Margin of error? I plan to just make sure it has a sleep setting when idle for more than X minutes, but didn't know how sensitive it was.
-144hz vs 120hz refresh: assuming I have the horse power to push the full 144hz refresh and that’s not an issue, it seems as if most people say I won’t tell much, if any, difference of between the two, and in fact some times 120 works better when upscaling?
-HDMI 2.1 v DisplayPort 1.4: No brainer, yes? Since DP 2.0 is no where near in sight as an option, and HDMI2.1 has more max bandwidth than dp1.4? I know 2.1 can’t push 4k/144hz, but if I go CX that won’t matter, and if I go Asus, I’ll have the DP input.
-1ms vs “>1ms”: Seems to be the area the Swift clearly wins. >1ms is what the LG has listed as specs, which could be literally any number greater than 1, but I had seen people say 5-10ms or greater? That sounds like it could be a noticeable issue, but not experienced with fast refresh monitors. Anyone know the actual response time? Is this another thing that I'd only notice the difference in competitive gaming?
-Readable Text?: I know I saw lots of folks say they can’t read text in Windows on the Asus because it’s so blurry. Saw there was a couple firmware fixes, but that sounded annoying, wasn’t sure if the OLED would have the same issue?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but always appreciate the Tom’s forum community’s knowledge!
-A

Solution
OLED user here
-Bought from BB as well for protection, no issues 7 months in. There some built in protection to help. Its a TV so I turn it off when done.
-You wont notice a difference between 120 and 144
-Both ports do the job as long as your GPU has the right output
-Ive been okay with the response times on the OLED. I read it helps if you lock your fps at 118, just under cap.
-Ive been using it at 1440p, the text does not look good at 4k. There might be a windows setting for this, I never had the patience to find it.

larsv8

Distinguished
OLED user here
-Bought from BB as well for protection, no issues 7 months in. There some built in protection to help. Its a TV so I turn it off when done.
-You wont notice a difference between 120 and 144
-Both ports do the job as long as your GPU has the right output
-Ive been okay with the response times on the OLED. I read it helps if you lock your fps at 118, just under cap.
-Ive been using it at 1440p, the text does not look good at 4k. There might be a windows setting for this, I never had the patience to find it.

Solution

HeelHook

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Hey Lars! You're the wonderful person who put me in the direction of the LG CX48 when I posted a question a couple weeks back, so, thank you again! :D

Also thank you greatly for that breakdown of feedback, those are literally all of my sticking points and I think I'm pretty much sold on getting the CX48 at this point. I don't watch news, it won't be used for tv much at all (outside of 3-4 MMA events a month), I auto hide my task bar, I'll enable a living wallpaper, set an idle timer to turn off/turn off when leaving the room. And at the end of the day, Best Buy will win my business simply because they'll help me sleep well just in case I burn something in.

Also, DP2.0 still seems so far off (ambiguously assumed to be on "next gen cards" yet we can't even get current gen cards) and no displays support it, so HDMI2.1 is king/queen for the foreseeable future.

I think in the long run I'll get a ultra high refresh 1440p as a side monitor for reading text/web browsing/any online FPS's, but all in all this seems to be my winner.

Now the real challenge... waiting for the order to arrive! :D

larsv8

Distinguished
The only thing I would say is, pay attention in the model years of the TV.

I have the 2020 version, I am sure there is a 2021 version here or close to arriving, and I wonder if there has been any improvements or perhaps downgrades? Since I already made my purchase, I haven't kept up with the changes, but since you are in my shoes as of last year, its definitely something I would do the due diligence on.

That said, congrats, you will be blown away by the first content you see in full HDR with OLED. For me it was mass effect Andromeda...wow....absolutely stunning.