Large format file transfer and large format printing

technikal13

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
I'm looking to build a new network. I have 5 windows 10 design stations 2 large format printers 2 plotters. All the printing is done from a print server machine. I would like to seperate the print network from the file/internet network as to keep the traffic low on the files going to the printers. I am going to be building new design stations as well should i build them with dual lan sockets.

Solution
Just buy a large switch and hook everything on a single network. It is not worth the effort to run 2 networks in the situation you describe. There is no performance benefit to keeping things separate. Almost all switches can run all ports at maximum speed up and down simultaneously. This means you could have a server sending data at maximum rate to a printer and it would have no effect on say 2 other machines coping files between each other.
Just buy a large switch and hook everything on a single network. It is not worth the effort to run 2 networks in the situation you describe. There is no performance benefit to keeping things separate. Almost all switches can run all ports at maximum speed up and down simultaneously. This means you could have a server sending data at maximum rate to a printer and it would have no effect on say 2 other machines coping files between each other.

Solution