Large Paging file

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
What is the maximum that i can set my paging file to? I have 2 GB of RAM and a 480 GB SSD. I'm looking to compensate as I intend to run visual basic on it, web page designing etc. I was thinking of having a 16 GB page file. Will Windows use this effectively or just ignore most of it or simply increase latency and cancel the effect of having such a large page file? thanks.

Solution

Consumer SSDs available today use flash memory, but RAM does not. It uses DRAM.

RAM is much faster than SSDs, which are usually(* much faster than hard drives.

*) If you compare a low-end TLC SSD and a good HDD, the HDD will come on top if the workload has long sequential writes.
I do not think there is a maximum.
I would be inclined to just let windows manage the size and usage.

If you only have 2gb of ram, I think you are going to have a lot of demand paging.
See if you can't up that to 4gb at least. Ram is cheap and is much faster than even a ssd.

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

The laptop doesn't have the facility to upgrade unfortunately. However, what you said just now- "the RAM being faster than the paging file" - isn't an SSD also flash memory? I guess that is what my question should have been. Thank you for highlighting that.

Gillerer

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

Consumer SSDs available today use flash memory, but RAM does not. It uses DRAM.

RAM is much faster than SSDs, which are usually(* much faster than hard drives.

*) If you compare a low-end TLC SSD and a good HDD, the HDD will come on top if the workload has long sequential writes.

Solution

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Thank you. I think your response clears it. I'm sorry, I'd already selected the 'best response' earlier.