[SOLVED] Large Ping Spikes Every 10-20 minutes

Jan 21, 2019
Hey. For the past few months I've been getting ping spikes of over 1000 ping for 1-2 minutes every 10-20 minutes. The main router is a bgw210 700 router with the firmware up to date (1.7.17). My electrician connected a netgear n600 router (wired to the main router) as an extender and I am connected wired to the n600. My ping is much lower but I still get the large ping spikes. Any tips? Thanks for the help.

Solution
No worries ... so it sounds like the issue is the link between your house and your ISP (Uverse with AT&T?). Most likely it is a poor connection somewhere in the phone lines and AT&T should be able to test this from their call center. They will likely have to route a tech to check the lines. There is a small chance that the issue is with the BGW210 itself, but I expect you rent that box from AT&T and so it is still on them to fix it. There is also a small chance that this is the result of overloaded equipment (more customer demand than the equipment can handle). That would be bad because the fix would be for AT&T to install more/faster equipment and I doubt they will spend money on that. AT&Ts push is for fiber to the house and they...
Step one is to figure out where the latency is coming from. It could be from your network, your ISP, or just the Internet.

1. From a command prompt do "tracert google.com". It will list routers between you and google. The first should be your netgear n600. The 2nd should be the bgw210. The 3rd should then be your ISP.

2. Open 3 command prompt windows. In each type "ping -t x.x.x.x" where x.x in the 1st windows is the address of the netgear n600. In the 2nd the address of the bgw210. And you guessed the 3rd ... your ISP's address.

3. Now watch the line scroll by. In 10-20 minutes you will hopefully see the latency. If it is in the first window, something is going on with the netgear, 2nd window the gbw210. And the last window your ISP.

Let us know what you find out.

Grouchypoo

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Step one is to figure out where the latency is coming from. It could be from your network, your ISP, or just the Internet.

1. From a command prompt do "tracert google.com". It will list routers between you and google. The first should be your netgear n600. The 2nd should be the bgw210. The 3rd should then be your ISP.

2. Open 3 command prompt windows. In each type "ping -t x.x.x.x" where x.x in the 1st windows is the address of the netgear n600. In the 2nd the address of the bgw210. And you guessed the 3rd ... your ISP's address.

3. Now watch the line scroll by. In 10-20 minutes you will hopefully see the latency. If it is in the first window, something is going on with the netgear, 2nd window the gbw210. And the last window your ISP.

Let us know what you find out.

Hey I'm op just a different account. The first 2 windows being the netgear n600 and the bgw210 had a consistent 32bytes 1ms and ttl=63-64. The 3rd window being my ISP had a consistent 32bytes and a ttl of 62. The "time=" was 17ms and would jump up to 1000+. Sorry for not replying for a month :p

No worries ... so it sounds like the issue is the link between your house and your ISP (Uverse with AT&T?). Most likely it is a poor connection somewhere in the phone lines and AT&T should be able to test this from their call center. They will likely have to route a tech to check the lines. There is a small chance that the issue is with the BGW210 itself, but I expect you rent that box from AT&T and so it is still on them to fix it. There is also a small chance that this is the result of overloaded equipment (more customer demand than the equipment can handle). That would be bad because the fix would be for AT&T to install more/faster equipment and I doubt they will spend money on that. AT&Ts push is for fiber to the house and they don't seem to have much interest in investing in their copper products (just my opinion, which isn't worth much).

Solution