Large Windows Update, PC wouldn't start. Removed GPU it boots, GPU Fried but PC is acting weird

Kev_182

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Specs

CPU:i7700k Stock speed will turbo to 4.5ghz volt 1.32 I did have it lower to 1.26 for the last 5 months but clear bios

Cooler: Kraken x52

Mobo: Asus z 170-a

GPU: Msi GTX 1080 Gaming X moderate OC +50 overvolt

Ram: Gskill Ripjaw 4 2x 8gb @2800mhz

Original PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750w 80 Bronze

Replacement PSU: EVGA Supernova 750G3 80 Gold

SSD: Samsung Evo 500gb (os) + programs
HDD WD Blue 1tb

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Thanks for reading this far. I'll start from the top. Last Thursday I completed a huge windows update, seems like so much is different now, and everything seemed fine. No issues with gaming, audio production, watching youtube etc

On Saturday night everything was still fine and used the pc all night to watch music videos while I hung out with friends. Sunday afternoon I decided I wanted to hop on the computer and when I hit the power button it would not turn on.

-Checked surge protected power bar fine
-Switched off the PSU flipped on tried again, nothing
-noticed there was a millisecond of power, fans twitched, gpu light flicked and then nothing
-Moved pc to another outlet, same thing, a flick of power and nothing
-At this point, I think PSU is failing not putting out enough juice
-Remove my GPU, hit the power button and were in business powers on :)
-Reinsert GPU nothing
-Try Other PCIe ports with GPU none of them work
-In original PCIe port, GPU in with the 8 and 6 pin not connect, PC boots video card lights up and fans spin.
-My buddy tries the 1080 in his rig and it won't boot, well must be the GPU, hooray warranty...
-Boot the PC using on board Display port something feels weird,
-Sometimes the video output will stop, the pc still on but nothing to the display
-Requires to restart to get the video back
-I switch to the onboard HDMI
-CPU load is jumping from 10%- 20% with some spikes of 40%
-Kraken fan speed is at 100% but temps have gone as high as 75c??? Averaging 35c-45c

I know the GPU is busted, seems like a short, but not sure what caused it, and the rest of PC is running strangely, almost feels like a malware miner running in the background. Ran multiple virus scans, antimalware bytes, now running a full scan with Bit Defender, ran Spybot.

Really not sure what is going on or how to further troubleshoot. I would love some guidance on what I need to do. Maybe the MOBO is gone and it killed the 1080

Well looks like bitdefender found 0 threats on a FULL scan.

I feel like WINDOWS god damn update somehow fucked me.

I love you all and am willing to do the hard work on this.

Kev_182

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I did update the bios to the most recent version.

As an update to everything, I am able to use the PC to game off integrated graphics. On power up sometimes the video won't be outputting to the monitor but the PC has booted I can hear windows notification sounds.... I dont think it the monitor I tested with with a ps4 and there are no issues...

I think the mobo is dying... :( maybe the ram

Try lowering the speed of your RAM to 2400MHz. Even 2133MHz is considered an overclock on your motherboard.

Memory
4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3100(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.) MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

TRENDING THREADS