Question Larger SSD capacity SSD cheaper?

Star2222

Prominent
May 4, 2021
Hi,
Why is the WD Black SN850X which is twice as fast as the WD Black SN750 is also 25% cheaper? Am I missing something?

Also is the SN850X compatible with MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK? Can that MSI motherboard read and write at the speed of 7300 MB/s of the WD Black SN850X?

Finally, if you do 3D CAD work and programming, which would you buy (performance wise) for the above motherboard?

Thank you as always :)

Star2222

Prominent
May 4, 2021
Thank you,
by compatible do you mean that motherboard can also read at 7,300 MB/s? I could not see that speed (or any speed) on the Motherboard specs. What is the maximum SSD speed that that motherboard can read and write at?

Also, which one would you choose performance wise for programming and CAD work?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you,
by compatible do you mean that motherboard can also read at 7,300 MB/s? I could not see that speed (or any speed) on the Motherboard specs. What is the maximum SSD speed that that motherboard can read and write at?

Also, which one would you choose performance wise for programming and CAD work?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK/Specification

M2_1 slot (from AMD Processor)
Supports PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x4

For CAD and programming, the CPU and RAM are far far more important.
You would not see a difference between any PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 drive of good quality. Drive speed is not nearly as important as it looks.

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
If it is PCIe 4.0 then it will theoretically can hit that speed, although in real life it will be lower, not by much and not that you would ever notice unless you are benchmarking.

If it is 3.0 then it will be half that speed. Again, in real use, you would probably never even see a tiny difference.

I am not familiar with AMD products so not sure but I believe that is a 4.0 M/B but either way, both should work (backwards compatible) with either of those.