Larger Surface Pro 2 Models Not Shipping Until December

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Lame... Out of my price range, and I've already got a Windows 8 pro tablet I'll be happy with for a year or two, but those big models with the 8gb of RAM are the type of thing I'll be looking at in the future.

Also, you've got two of the Surface Pro 2 models listed for $89 and $99 respectively... I may well end up having to buy one if those are the prices.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
This is the same misunderstanding CNET had. The original wave of preorders will ship with their original date of the 21st. They sold out. So now the next available date is the 15th of Dec. Please adjust your article Tom's; I would hate to think you're in the same league as CNET providing incorrect data.

slzmn

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
This article is inaccurate. If you pre-ordered a 256/512GB SP2 and received a ship date of 10/21, your SP2 will ship on time. I confirmed this with MS yesterday. MS is sold out of the initial supply of the 256/512GB SP2s, so if you order today (after 10/14), your ship date is "before Dec 15".

typicalGeek

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't check the specifications of the Pro tablets, so perhaps you're getting something more than just more storage with the more expensive models. However, at least on first glance, it seems MS doesn't even think people can do SIMPLE math.

If the models are as follows:
64G - $899
128G - $999 *$100 per 64G of extra storage vs. base
256G - $1299 *$133.33 per 64G of extra storage vs. base
512G - $1799 *$128.57 per 64G of extra storage vs. base

In this case MS is charging up to 29-33% MORE for those who want more storage.
Frankly, if they were not playing these games they'd probably sell a ton more of the 256/512 models. (At a much more fair $1199 and $1599 -- even better if they gave you a break and charged LESS per GB for the higher capacity models... just like SSD makers do. Thanks to them we all know that flash memory is MUCH cheaper than $1/GB now. Why try to charge up to $2.08 per GB when it's embedded in your device?)

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Geek, I know that the latter two models have an extra 4gb of RAM each (8gb vs 4gb on the smaller models). Might be other changes too, not sure... But, it is a reality of current SSD's that the price increases at a faster rate than their size.. You can get four 128gb SSD's for quite a bit less than a 500'ish gb SSD.

Any which way, all of these storage options are overpriced, but that's par for the course. Some companies offer size upgrades for $50'ish, but most stick to $100 per size increment and rake in the cash off of users in doing so.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
"In this case MS is charging up to 29-33% MORE for those who want more storage.
Frankly, if they were not playing these games they'd probably sell a ton more of the 256/512 models. (At a much more fair $1199 and $1599 -- even better if they gave you a break and charged LESS per GB for the higher capacity models... just like SSD makers do. Thanks to them we all know that flash memory is MUCH cheaper than $1/GB now. Why try to charge up to $2.08 per GB when it's embedded in your device?)"

It seems their reasoning is "Because Apple gets away with it too." Look at the ipad prices for extra storage space. $100 more per extra doubling of the memory of the previous model.

Howard Abraham

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
If you had been monitoring the ship date for Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 you would have known that the ship dates have changed several time as production runs sell out. Yes, some of the dates are currently December 15 but that doesn't affect people who have already ordered.

game junky

Distinguished
I have a Surface Pro 128GB - it is commonly using upwards of 3GB of RAM while I work so I can imagine users with lots of excel docs or browser sessions open will welcome the additional RAM. I was considering the 256GB w/ 8GB of RAM but $300 is a steep price difference and until I see IO specs for the msata drive's performance differences between the 128GB and 256GB models I think I am going to keep what I have. The additional battery life is very tempting but that's a big chunk of my hardware budget that will be difficult to justify.

slzmn

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

I pre-ordered the SP2 256GB for my son. Educational discount applied to SP2 only, not the type cover. Saved $129.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"For customers looking to scoop up the more expensive 256 GB and 512 GB Surface Pro 2 models, these units won't ship until December 15"

Rubbish. I haven't had any notification from MS that my pre-order has been delayed (Over here in the UK)

grimtriad

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
Surface storage prices are a bit out there but I believe they are using MicroSSD (the stuff made for fast booting that you can find ports for on nice motherboards) and those are about twice the price of normal SSD drives for the same size. I priced them recently and a good brand was $1-$2 a gig. At these prices Microsoft is asking about $2 a gig not including the additional 4gigs of ram. So, as long as they are getting high quality MicroSSD's for these, it's actually pretty close to retail.

So close to getting a 256 but as I have a Surface Pro I couldn't justify $1300 for the Ram/CPU/SSD upgrade.

_WAter_

Aleeccx

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
i just got email from Microsoft that they have shipped my surface pro 2 256gb and i will receive it on 22nd October . i also got text message from the courier confirming me the delivery date . how can you say they will not ship till December ?

drithro

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I got an email from MS today saying that my credit card provider declined the transaction and that I would need to contact them and re-order my 256GB (Canada). I phoned my credit card provider and they informed that the per-approval went through from MS with success and there were no more transactions after that.

Interestingly enough on my Surface Pro 2 order I also ordered a keyboard and mouse with the same card and these were delivered weeks ago.

Looking around the forums it seems a few folks have been hit with this 'cancellation' of their pre-order. I phoned MS and the rep informed that no 256 or 512 Pros will ship before Dec 15. Needless to say, after all that run-around I elected not to place a new order. Unbelievable MS, I gave up on the Surface 1 after my pre-order went 3 odd months past delivery at Best Buy, looks like I wont be getting an SP2 either.

ifn

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I also pre-oredered a Surface Pro 256GB weeks ago. It was originally scheduled to arrive October 29 (which I could live with). Well, my Surface Pro and Type cover were unexpectedly cancelled from my order. The other accessories I had included in my order did not have any trouble getting charged though. After calling the microsoft store they informed me that I would need to re-order, and the new ship date was Dec. 15. So, now I have a case and screen protector, but no Surface until Dec. 15. I'm planning to return what I received and maybe try again next year...

Or I may try another experiment. I have this money set aside already. Which can I get first? The new Apple Air or a Surface Pro 2 (256GB). I'm not saying they are equivalent. I'd prefer the Surface, but I'm very upset that my order was canceled and then delayed. I may just got with the apple product. I'll let their availability drive my decision. - Not happy either way.

ifn

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I also pre-oredered a Surface Pro 256GB weeks ago. It was originally scheduled to arrive October 29 (which I could live with). Well, my Surface Pro and Type cover were unexpectedly cancelled from my order. The other accessories I had included in my order did not have any trouble getting charged though. After calling the microsoft store they informed me that I would need to re-order, and the new ship date was Dec. 15. So, now I have a case and screen protector, but no Surface until Dec. 15. I'm planning to return what I received and maybe try again next year...

Or I may try another experiment. I have this money set aside already. Which can I get first? The new Apple Air or a Surface Pro 2 (256GB). I'm not saying they are equivalent. I'd prefer the Surface, but I'm very upset that my order was canceled and then delayed. I may just got with the apple product. I'll let their availability drive my decision. - Not happy either way.

ifn

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.