Question Laser printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Family member is wanting to get a new color all in one laser printer. Wants me to find one, he really doesn't know anything about this stuff. Didn't really give a budget but doesn't want to spend $2k either.

He wants it to be air print compatible. Done a little bit of looking. Got a few questions about toner. In general do most toner sets cost as nearly as much or more than the printer itself? And how big of a deal is it to use genuine toner vs compatible toner? Was looking specifically at the Brother HL-L8360cdw and the HP Laserjet Pro M283fdw.

kanewolf

Titan
Family member is wanting to get a new color all in one laser printer. Wants me to find one, he really doesn't know anything about this stuff. Didn't really give a budget but doesn't want to spend $2k either.

He wants it to be air print compatible. Done a little bit of looking. Got a few questions about toner. In general do most toner sets cost as nearly as much or more than the printer itself? And how big of a deal is it to use genuine toner vs compatible toner? Was looking specifically at the Brother HL-L8360cdw and the HP Laserjet Pro M283fdw.
Toner use depends on the amount printed. If they print a few text pages a month, the included toner could last years.

Nobody was ever "fired" for recommending HP printers :)

USAFRet

Titan
I have a brother MFC-L3770CDW.
Almost 3 yrs old now, fault free.

I've only used OEM toner in it.

Be wary of the "air print" requirement.
If it is wired directly to the router, it IS accessible from any system, ethernet or WiFi.
The printer does not needs its own WiFi

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Toner use depends on the amount printed. If they print a few text pages a month, the included toner could last years.

Nobody was ever "fired" for recommending HP printers :)

Would say he uses it more than the average person. He does run his own business, on a

Never use those so called "compatible" supplies. They will cause no end of problems (image quality, toner dumping, etc.), possibly requiring printer replacement with prolonged usage. Do not go cheap on supplies. Use OEM only.

That is what I figured.

I have a brother MFC-L3770CDW.
Almost 3 yrs old now, fault free.

I've only used OEM toner in it.

Be wary of the "air print" requirement.
If it is wired directly to the router, it IS accessible from any system, ethernet or WiFi.
The printer does not needs its own WiFi

Not sure what you mean by be wary of the air print requirement. Are you saying the printer doesn't need that to print from an apple product? I think every system I looked at, it is on the air print supported list on apples website.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Got the Brother mfc-l3770cdw. One thing I have a question about is switching from wifi to ethernet. Unless there are issues, he will be connected to wifi. But I tried to connect via ethernet and it kept connecting to wifi. Been through the printer settings and seen no way of disconnecting from wifi. Seen an option to turn on wired lan but no change.

Anyone use the Brother refresh toner program? How is it? How reliable is it? This something that would be better done myself?

USAFRet

Titan
Got the Brother mfc-l3770cdw. One thing I have a question about is switching from wifi to ethernet. Unless there are issues, he will be connected to wifi. But I tried to connect via ethernet and it kept connecting to wifi. Been through the printer settings and seen no way of disconnecting from wifi. Seen an option to turn on wired lan but no change.

Anyone use the Brother refresh toner program? How is it? How reliable is it? This something that would be better done myself?
I don't pint enough to worry about the auto refresh toner thing.
2997 pages in about 2.5 yrs.

For the WiFi...in the Windows application, I can't find any WiFi thing either.
Possibly it is in the settings directly on the printer.

Maybe just give it an invalid WiFi access key, and it may force it to connect via ethernet.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I don't pint enough to worry about the auto refresh toner thing.
2997 pages in about 2.5 yrs.

For the WiFi...in the Windows application, I can't find any WiFi thing either.
Possibly it is in the settings directly on the printer.

Maybe just give it an invalid WiFi access key, and it may force it to connect via ethernet.

Looked through the settings on the printer itself and couldn't find anything that allowed me to connect via ethernet. Found a setting to turn wired on and it did act like it tried to connect through ethernet but after a few seconds, it went back to wifi.

I know when I went to connect to wifi for the first time, a message came up about disabling wired lan. I said yes, figuring there would be an easy way to go back to ethernet if needed. Surely it didn't do something to permanently disable wired lan.

I will try entering wrong wifi key and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.