Laserjet 4M+, error on first page

This regards printing over TCP/IP to an HP4M+ from Windows 2000 or XP. If a print
job is sent to the printer before it is turned on it gets queued by Windows. When
the printer is powered up later, instead of printing the document an error page
comes out saying:

ERROR: timeout
OFFENDING COMMAND: timeout
STACK:

{stopped {cleartomark @ lucas eq {! exit}if }loop countdictstack ~ sub @ }
/featurecleanup

I also tried printing a short text document from a Unix system. It printed
properly, as if it waited long enough before sending the job.

Seems like there is a problem, perhaps configuration mismatch, in Windows
regarding how long it waits before sending the job. This worked at one time but I
can't say when it stopped working. Perhaps after adding some printer memory ? Any
pointers on where to look to fix this ?

Geo.

What device connects the printer to your PC(s?)?

In article <nbcdd.16020$nj.4173@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com>,
bjpriceNOSPAM@itsa.ucsf.edu says...
> What device connects the printer to your PC(s?)?
>
> George Pontis wrote:
> > This regards printing over TCP/IP to an HP4M+ from Windows 2000 or XP. If a print
> > job is sent to the printer before it is turned on it gets queued by Windows. When
> > the printer is powered up later, instead of printing the document an error page
> > comes out saying:

JetDirect 400N / J4100A. The printer came with an older JetDirect card which
didn't have the web interface. The problem was present with the old card and
didn't seem to change when the new one was installed.

All the computers talk directly to the printer over the LAN on port 9100,
protocol=raw.

Couple of things to try; (I don't really know the cause of the problem).
a) Get the latest firmware for the JD card
b) Try changing the Print Protocol from RAW to something else.
c) Install/reinstall the latest Windows HP print drivers