[SOLVED] Laserwriter8500

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlong5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
I am having a similar problem with my laserwriter8500 but with Mac OS10.6 I have it connected by ethernet to a broadband router but can only print if my laptop ( OS10.4) is also connnected to the network.If I connect directly to the printer OS10.6 can't find it. Does anyone know if the 8500 will work with10.6 and whether I need different drivers.

Solution
It sounds like you have the printer driver on your laptop, and your laptop has printer sharing turned on.

You might try reinstalling the printer's network driver using your OS 10.6 computer. Try looking online for network specific drivers, I have an Oki Data printer that came with a separate disk for use on networks.
I had the exact same problem when I first hooked it up too. The driver was on both computers, but the laptop had print sharing turned on so it needed to be on the network to communicate with the printer.

I recommend setting a static IP address for the printer to mitigate yet another possible communications problem with the printer.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
The Apple LaserWriter series has to be at least 10 years old, I doubt if they're updating drivers to OS 10.6 for it.

You've got it hooked up by ethernet, are you using a SCSI adapter of some kind? If so, maybe your adapter needs a newer driver for OS 10.6.

Does the printer appear in your 'System Preferences' under 'Print & Fax?'

jlong5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Computer is connected by ethernet or airport to a broadband hub. Printer is connected to the same hub by ethernet., no SCSI involved.

The printer appears in print and fax, but as a printer connected to my laptop.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It sounds like you have the printer driver on your laptop, and your laptop has printer sharing turned on.

You might try reinstalling the printer's network driver using your OS 10.6 computer. Try looking online for network specific drivers, I have an Oki Data printer that came with a separate disk for use on networks.
I had the exact same problem when I first hooked it up too. The driver was on both computers, but the laptop had print sharing turned on so it needed to be on the network to communicate with the printer.

I recommend setting a static IP address for the printer to mitigate yet another possible communications problem with the printer.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.