[SOLVED] Last call for monitor to fly MSFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
While I was building my new computer and due to monitor shortage, a little bit like graphic cards (by the way, not anymore but they are still expensive...), I had time to think and to find some more euros to buy a better monitor...

Prices will go down in 3 days in one website I usually buy components. Here is the list:

- Dell Alienware 34'' 2K+ Curved 1-120 Hz G-Sync
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new...0dw/apd/210-atzq/monitors-monitor-accessories

- Dell Alienware 27'' 2K 1-240 Hz G-Sync HDR
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...21d/apd/210-axsw/monitors-monitor-accessories

- Acer Predator 34'' 2K+ Curved 1-100 Hz G-Sync
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/predator-model/UM.CX0EE.P01

- MSI Prestige PS341WU 4K+ 60 Hz (Fixed rate) HDR
https://www.msi.com/Content-Creation-Monitor/Prestige-PS341WU

All the other monitors are either too expensive or unavailable in my country.

Specs: i9-10900K, Asus RTX 3090 OC, MSI MEG Z490 ACE, 32GB CL16 RAM,Corsair RM1000x, Kraken Z73, 2 x NMVe.

Solution
I will probably stay with a non-HDR monitor.
initially i was searching for a good ultra-wide HDR display
but the only ones with good HDR & other specs all seemed to be VA and\or Freesync panels.
nothing with IPS & G-Sync chips.

had used an MSI Optix ultra-wide HDR 400 for a little while and was very disappointed.
my high DCI-P3 % AW3420DW looks much nicer with better colors and much better contrast than the MSI even when it's HDR was enabled.
i'd definitely say that HDR10\1000 is the only option worth it, 400 & 600 do not offer much improvement over a good non-HDR display.
But do you use it for which kind of games?
ALL types of games.
last couple weeks:
Elex, Cyberpunk 2077, DiRT 4, Spellforce 3, Skater XL, Biomutant.
Microsoft Flight Simulator?
i don't enjoy flight sims much,
but i have checked it out at a friend's on both 2560x1080p & 3840x2160p.
much more immersive and much better field-of-view on the 21:9 screen even at the lower resolution.

what are you concerned about?
if you're looking for the best field-of-view with an ultra-wide G-Sync display;
the 34" 3440x1440p Alienware is one of the, if not the, best option currently available.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
ALL types of games.
last couple weeks:
Elex, Cyberpunk 2077, DiRT 4, Spellforce 3, Skater XL, Biomutant.

i don't enjoy flight sims much,
but i have checked it out at a friend's on both 2560x1080p & 3840x2160p.
much more immersive and much better field-of-view on the 21:9 screen even at the lower resolution.

what are you concerned about?
if you're looking for the best field-of-view with an ultra-wide G-Sync display;
the 34" 3440x1440p Alienware is one of the, if not the, best option currently available.

Good. I am thinking to buy this Dell monitor for MSFS. I was looking for AW2721D but it seems the HDR is only 600.
I think for MSFS there is only a real advantage if you get one HDR10 monitor which is quite expensive... Can you confirm?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I don't know what is it, sorry... Can you explain me, please? Thanks.
It's a limited form of VR - makes your in-game view follow your head movement (with amplification so you wouldn't twist your eye muscle) so you wouldn't have to fumble with POV hat.

EDIT: And freeing it for more useful purposes like pitch & rudder trim, or targeting cursor in combat sims.

Probably the single greatest invention for flight simming after the stick, and much more affordable than any VR headset.

Last edited:

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
It's a limited form of VR - makes your in-game view follow your head movement (with amplification so you wouldn't twist your eye muscle) so you wouldn't have to fumble with POV hat.

EDIT: And freeing it for more useful purposes like pitch & rudder trim, or targeting cursor in combat sims.

Probably the single greatest invention for flight simming after the stick, and much more affordable than any VR headset.

But is it a monitor or something you put into your head like VR?

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
It's not, thus the "As an aside"...

It's something you clip on top of your monitor and onto your headset, or an application that uses your webcam or smartphone. Look it up, if it sounds good to you.

My apologies for derailing your thread.

But we also need a monitor, right? I also do video work and normal work, not only MSFS flying.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Yes...In that case, you might want to stick to 21:9 and above ones.

And those with good colour gamut, which all four had.

Indeed. For MSFS I would take advantage of HDR10 but they are too expensive unless you get a fixed refresh rate monitor which is not good when you get low frames. So, I will probably stay with a non-HDR monitor. :(

I will probably stay with a non-HDR monitor.
but the only ones with good HDR & other specs all seemed to be VA and\or Freesync panels.

had used an MSI Optix ultra-wide HDR 400 for a little while and was very disappointed.
my high DCI-P3 % AW3420DW looks much nicer with better colors and much better contrast than the MSI even when it's HDR was enabled.
i'd definitely say that HDR10\1000 is the only option worth it, 400 & 600 do not offer much improvement over a good non-HDR display.

Reactions: harpsinuno
Solution

HDR400 should be the only one to avoid if you're looking for a starting point getting into HDR since it relaxes the color bit-depth, dimming, and gamut requirements. HDR500 and higher requires 10-bit color, local dimming (which is a really loose sense of the term), and greater color gamut coverage.

Also the reason for using VA over IPS is VA can achieve deeper black levels than IPS, which the VESA standard describes as necessary for HDR500 or higher. IPS can get "deeper" black levels by way of FALD, but that's expensive.

I would argue however that currently the best HDR experience is with an OLED display.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Hi

After thinking, rethinking, having some extra bugdet and seeing that good monitors are also in shortage like GPUs, I have now two options at a great discount:
  • Dell Allienware AW3420DW with G-Sync native, 3440*1440, but no HDR
  • LG 48A16LA 48" OLED UltraHD 4K with fixed refresh rate at 60 Hz and HDR10
My main problem is tearing, lag or stutters when MSFS is going to 20-30 fps since I like to have all types of extra addons installed like AI aircraft, volumetric clouds and so on...

Which one to choose? I still have 1 day to decide...

My main specs are: i9-10900K, Asus RTX 3090 OC, MSI MEG Z490 ACE, RAM 32 GB 3200 CL16 and Kraken Z73.

Status
Not open for further replies.