[SOLVED] Last check before ordering parts for Gaming Build!

Thefirstone111

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hey y'all

I'll be building my second ever pc soon. Picked the parts and will be ordering them later this week.

You guys mind taking a look, and throwing me any last minute advice?
I was thinking of going with a 3700x or a 3800x but i've been told the difference isn't there to justify price.

Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | €219.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | €124.90 @ Azerty
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | €113.11 @ Azerty
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | €125.00 @ Azerty
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card | €638.00 @ CD-ROM-LAND
Case | Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case | €60.95 @ CD-ROM-LAND
Power Supply | Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | €129.00 @ Azerty
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | €1409.96
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-04 18:55 CEST+0200 |

Last edited:
Solution
The 3600x has a faster base clock, but these CPUs will not operate at the base clock in games.

They will boost higher.

Both 3700x and 3600x have 4.4ghz boost. They will only hit that under single-core workloads, however, so expect around 4.2ghz in games for both.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lol, didn't I just see this build in another thread?

As far as the R5 vs R7/9 debate.....if you are ONLY gaming, and ONLY using for web browsing, light productivity and such there is absolutely little reason not to use an R5. If (for instance) you were going to be gaming AND streaming at the same time from the same machine, there is more than enough real need for those additional cores.

It's hard to tell the future as far as computer hardware, but it was a very short time in the past that 4 core processors were considered all you need. Suddenly we find that 6 core CPU's are struggling with demands games have suddenly required....More cores and more threads isn't going to hurt as far as the future is concerned, either.

Thefirstone111

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Lol, didn't I just see this build in another thread?

As far as the R5 vs R7/9 debate.....if you are ONLY gaming, and ONLY using for web browsing, light productivity and such there is absolutely little reason not to use an R5. If (for instance) you were going to be gaming AND streaming at the same time from the same machine, there is more than enough real need for those additional cores.

It's hard to tell the future as far as computer hardware, but it was a very short time in the past that 4 core processors were considered all you need. Suddenly we find that 6 core CPU's are struggling with demands games have suddenly required....More cores and more threads isn't going to hurt as far as the future is concerned, either.

Hah must've been a similar one. I've been tweaking and having people tweak this for like a week now.
Definitely not looking to stream, but i'd like to be able to have maybe OBS in the background.

You thinking this motherboard would hold up to a cpu upgrade now or in the future?

Thefirstone111

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
B450 tomahawk has been tested to even be sufficient for a 16 core 3950x, so anything below that should also work
Oh nice. Definitely keeping that one in there then.

I'm seeing that the clock speed on the 3700x is lower than the 3600x though. I'm assuming i'd have to get an aftermarket cooler and a slight overclock to get the 3700 running as well as it's cheaper brother in gaming. Is that a fair assumption?

The 3600x has a faster base clock, but these CPUs will not operate at the base clock in games.

They will boost higher.

Both 3700x and 3600x have 4.4ghz boost. They will only hit that under single-core workloads, however, so expect around 4.2ghz in games for both.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS