Last days of motherboard or cpu gone

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
:pfff:

hello tech wizs'

Message Count: 1
My System
i am facing a typical problem with my pc. its a 5 yrs old system. i have a asrock conroe 1333- d667 mobo with a intel e2140 processor @1.6ghz. powered with ddr2 ram of 2 gb(2sticks) and a sparkle nvidia 9400gt. it is running on windows vista ultimate from beginning.
two weeks back the problem got started. i turned it on and my went away for 5 mins. wen i got back all i could see is completely white screen. i booted it again and it worked. after couple of days it started doing weird things lke:-
1) got beyond POST bios worked for 10 to 15 mins and sudden shut down.
2) sometimes wen i start my pc the fan would start and turn off instantly.
3) ok sometimes got beyond post bios and in windows screen. open a web page or any activity the screen would flicker once as if i refreshed and it freezes.
4) ha ha ha the fans start spinning but nothing comes on the screen.
5) sometimes i notice in the cpu usage gadget the needle sometimes shows usage of above 70% and even 100% at times even for small programs

if u ask me about the beeps. i get just one beep wen its booting. never got multiple beeps.
if the pc works it works for hours and once it turns off it doesnt start. i assure the other hardware were tested and aren't faulty.
the motherboard shows the same symptoms even if i changed it with another processor.

so is it a sign of "processor failure" or the motherboard's last days.

i am a noob.pls help

if i need to change the motherboard should i replace it with a new 775 socket one or try for an upgrade to better socket. if i do so, i need to change the ram, processor, graphics card and etc.

Solution
It's time for a whole new computer and I'm not sure about the monitor but maybe it can wait or you may be able to get a whole Pc package. There really is no sense to trying to fix anything the parts you would need are out of stock and they no longer mak them so hunting them down on e-bay would be your only option if you could even find out what is wrong with it besides being completly out of date.
You can't upgrade to socket 775 because they don't make that anymore and again you would have to be hunting it down on e-bay.

What do you have for a budget to get a new computer and don't be thinking you can't aford it because you don't know what you can get yet so what you want to do is think of what you can possibly put together for a...
It's time for a whole new computer and I'm not sure about the monitor but maybe it can wait or you may be able to get a whole Pc package. There really is no sense to trying to fix anything the parts you would need are out of stock and they no longer mak them so hunting them down on e-bay would be your only option if you could even find out what is wrong with it besides being completly out of date.
You can't upgrade to socket 775 because they don't make that anymore and again you would have to be hunting it down on e-bay.

What do you have for a budget to get a new computer and don't be thinking you can't aford it because you don't know what you can get yet so what you want to do is think of what you can possibly put together for a budget and then we'll see what you can get for that amount.

Solution
sounds more like a bad cap or power supply. i would start with asking a friend if he has a spare and use it for a bit and see if it hangs. witrh th new ps i would run memtest and hdtune to check the ram and hard drive. look at the cpu and gpu fan make sure there spinng up to the right speed. over time you can have a fan go bad.

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
thanks for your time guys. :wahoo:

i got a spare pc from a friend and i tried substituting each of my component one by one into his pc and some components seem to be
1)smps- status ok
2)HDD-ok
3)graphics card-ok
4)RAM Modules - i couldn't check as his mobo has DDR3 slot

later i placed his core2 duo processor into my mobo and tried to boot my system. this time the system got start, post bios and entered the windows screen and then abruptly shut down again.

is there something left to test or try to rule out that there is some other problem

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

Thanks izone for ur timely reply. :hello:
i too had the thought in mind to change the change the motherboard to next level. my max budget is 150$ at max. the local retailer has offered me to give a MSI mobo H61M-P20 (G3)
http://in.msi.com/product/mb/H61M-P20--G3-.html

And the compatible ddr3 ram and core 2 duo 3.0 ghz processor in exchange for my components. I am not a full time hardcore gamer but I mainly use the pc for games like Elders scroll v Skyrim, The witcher 2,etc..
So man is the said motherboard good for mid level gaming and sir my maximum budget is 150$ max. I will add better processor later on availability of funds. The main motive is to get a working pc rite now.
I WILL BE HIGHLY OBLIGED IF U CAN SUGGEST SOME BETTER MOTHERBOARDS OR OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR ME.
THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Part of your problem is living in India and don't have access to a lot of the low pricing and rebates that other places may have especially the U.S.
So the local retailer is selling you the MSI board for $150? This is an example of what I was refering to, here in the U.S. I can't even get this board because it's been discontinued and I have had a hard time finding what the priceing is on the MB and ended up finding one on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-H61M-P20-G3-motherboard-FlexATX/dp/B008C4HPE0

I don't know what MB to suggest to you because the pricing is so different , so a good way to do it would be to post a list of MBs that are available to you for your price and I can look and tell you which would be better.
Right now the MSI board would be a great improvement over what you have along with the cpu and ram. The next thing and most important for gaming will be the video card and you will have to do the same thing of posting what you can get with your budget and I'll let you know which is best.

PapaPaul

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012

agreed with smorizio,
you need to change your power supply!

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

i did change the power supply with a new PSU. the one i had first was a 400W and i substituted it with a new 450W PSU and still the same problem...... :)

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

yeah sir, thats the problem over here. i see the motherboard on websites and drool for them. the motherboards are either highly priced or not available in india. :heink:
anyways here some online shoppe got some motherboards of some famous brands. i would be highly obliged if u visit the website and select one good motherboard for me. please select something which is below Rs. 6000. (Rs. is the indian currency). 1USD=Rs.52.72.
thanks a lot......

http://www.flipkart.com/computers/components/motherboard-20213?_pop=flyout

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-p8b75-m-le-motherboard/p/itmdajdy3fy25dhu?pid=MBDDAJBJKQPZ9BW5&ref=b4ae16f5-cf6a-41cd-adcf-52e3d48ba162

This Asus board is kust a bit over your budget but will be good for your build , it comes with the Lucid Logic MVP feature which combines the video card with the intergrated graphiics to give a 60%video boost.

http://www.flipkart.com/gigabyte-ga-b75m-d3h-motherboard/p/itmdacp36gegyeqt?pid=MBDDACP2GUBGFPFM&ref=021b0c1f-c64e-45ca-8291-162889195a66

This Gigabyte board would be a drcrnt card to go with if you can't aford the Asus board.

http://www.flipkart.com/asrock-b75m-gl-motherboard/p/itmdcpwswcsehgdz?pid=MBDDCPWRGG6FGW5F&ref=7086b26a-7338-44c4-b75d-1c0a5e004283

Here is another to look at.

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

big one i am really short of words to thank you for ur time and efforts u put in. as per ur choice i have selected the asus motherboard and decided to buy. i suppose i need to change the PSU for that. wat should be the minimum wattage requirement. currently i have 400w should i go for 850w

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

Asrock motherboards arent good anymore!. is it true! the reason for asking is that the retailers says that the company has started producing the mobos in china completely except the intel chipset. i was keen to buy one good asrock mid ranged mobo but its disappointing. lol

You can't actually order a motherboard from Tomshardware since they don't sell any mechandise, you have to order from a retailor that sells the products. I can recomend a motherboard to you but with the prices being different where you live I don't know what you'll be able to get the MB for price wise.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

On Newegg this board is going for $150, so if in your country it falls in your price range then it would be a good choice.

taksh-imd14u

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

hey there big fella.
i checked for the motherboard in india and it is exorbitantly priced Rs.17047 i.e 330$. lol. thats too costly. :eek: