Question Late 2008 compatability with Mid 2012

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
My much-loved 13” mid-2012 MacBook Pro works fine - but is stuck on a black screen (probably display cable damaged) so waits to be fixed.

I also have a 13” Late-2008 MacBook that i want to use until I get the chance to Repair my mid-2012 MacBook.

My question is, would there be any compatability problem if i try to speed up my late-2008 MacBook by replacing its 2gb of DDR3 Ram with the 8GB of Ddr3L Ram plus SSD from my temporarily side-lined mid-2012 MacBook Pro?

Apart from features like screen resolution and Max Ram capacity, are there other huge differences in how fast or how well these two veteran laptops perform?

Am I right that the aluminium unibody case, keyboard, touch pad, power supply and most other components apart from the cpu are the same for both models?

My much-loved 13” mid-2012 MacBook Pro works fine - but is stuck on a black screen (probably display cable damaged) so waits to be fixed.

I also have a 13” Late-2008 MacBook that i want to use until I get the chance to Repair my mid-2012 MacBook.

My question is, would there be any compatability problem if i try to speed up my late-2008 MacBook by replacing its 2gb of DDR3 Ram with the 8GB of Ddr3L Ram plus SSD from my temporarily side-lined mid-2012 MacBook Pro?

Apart from features like screen resolution and Max Ram capacity, are there other huge differences in how fast or how well these two veteran laptops perform?

Am I right that the aluminium unibody case, keyboard, touch pad, power supply and most other components apart from the cpu are the same for both models?
No you don't want to switch the HDD or SSD from the newer Mac to older it can cause corruption due to different Mac os and components used. However you can deffently speed up the older one to use till the other is fixed but would be faster to fix the knew one if just needs display

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for your reply. My main concern about fixing up the old one is I figure that it is a bit tricky to replace the data cable that is the most likely explanation for the black screen (which sometimes flickers a bit just as the power comes on, and responds to +/- brightness adjustment), whereas I already know how to swap ram and redo the os of a MacBook with a new ssd.

TRENDING THREADS