Latency spikes while pinging router

HatefulxxDesign

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I have a WNDR3700v3 router and have had next to 0 problems out of it previously. I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my computer as an annual ritual, and ever since I have been experiencing random latency spikes. At first I figured it was my ISP doing something but it continued. Then I decided to ping my router and noticed that sometimes I receive a ridiculously high ping for being internal. (Upwards of ~1k-1.5k ms) I have not changed a single setting on my router in some time, and I am leaning towards it being something with my PC given it has been the only thing to receive a change. I have installed the latest drivers since I reinstalled. There does not seem to be any pattern to the spikes and they are sometimes upwards of 10 minutes apart, or as close together as ~1 minute. I am quite lost at this point.

something is transferring data between the pc and router (or maybe further into the web) when the lag spikes occur (it would explain both the slower ping and the lag). try to look in resource manager networking tab while one is happening maybe you can identity what is transferring data.

HatefulxxDesign

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

I took your suggestion and watched both the ping test and the network chart side by side, nothing occurs when the spike does. The usage on idle never went above .25% usage. The highest point on the chart was just a tad over 1%, in which the ping was still ~1ms and that was when i refreshed this page.

EDIT: Not to mention that I really shouldn't be receiving a 1k-1.5k ms latency ping to my router which is about 3 feet away no matter what I am doing.

HatefulxxDesign

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

I have tried resetting the router a few times, and I am on wireless as the thread location and tags say. =P
Also, wired is not an option for me sadly.

HatefulxxDesign

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

I cannot test sadly. I am using channel 11 and have scanned the area for other channels. I have tried every "obvious" thing. =\

TRENDING THREADS