[SOLVED] LatencyMon is showing me disturbing results

Yapsonark

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
Hello!

After finding this post called "GPU usage spikes" I installed LatencyMon for the first time and its showing me some disturbing results that I don't know what to do about. I'm not sure what it means when it says
"trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks." I use Steel Series wireless headset with USB and just simply plugged it in. I didn't install anything that I can remember.

Ive been having alot of problems with game instability and some audio issues as well

Any input or nudges in the right direction to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Yjl2H2R.jpeg

I've just finished running DDU and reinstalling video drives helped but the problem is still there. LatencyMon is all red and it happened when the computer wasn't in use within 30 mins of being installed.

I'm currently using
-AMD Ryzen High Performance Power Plan

Thanks!

jjLt1Ga.jpeg

UPDATE:
I've updated my bios along with every driver I could from the manufacturer after I did the DDU and it helped tremendously

With testing for a few hours, i've definately seen major improvements but still latency goes into the red

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Gigabyte x570 AORUS PRO WIFI
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
1TB Samsun SSD 970 EVO PLUS
Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 C18
ROG PG279Q Monitor 1440p
Corsair RM 850X

Last edited:
Solution
Varying errors and increasing numbers of errors are, in my mind, symptomatic of a faultering/failing PSU.

So I went ahead and Googled this error "LiveKernelEvent" 141

DGDkMtN.jpg

I found this post LiveKernelEvent 141 - Hardware failure??

And this is how it ended for him...

Ole Wedel Nielsen said:
An update to my situation:
During the last few days I have continued testing my setup. I even completely uninstalled my Oculus gear to make sure that the VR equipment wasn't the culprit. Sadly, when gaming the game continued to freeze/close down after a short while.
So I installed the test software PCMark, 3DMark (both published by Futuremark) together with the **** GPU stress-tester Furmark.
My PC fared...

Ralston18

Titan
Start over.

This:

"Ive been having alot of problems with game instability and some audio issues as well."

First, update your post to include fully system hardware specs and OS information. What model Steel Series wireless headset?

Second, describe with more detail the game instability (what games) and audio problems that your system is experiencing.

Third, manually install/reinstall suspect drivers yourself. No third party utilities or sources. Download, reinstall, and reconfigure drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website(s).

Reactions: Yapsonark

Yapsonark

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
Start over.

This:

"Ive been having alot of problems with game instability and some audio issues as well."

First, update your post to include fully system hardware specs and OS information. What model Steel Series wireless headset?

Second, describe with more detail the game instability (what games) and audio problems that your system is experiencing.

Third, manually install/reinstall suspect drivers yourself. No third party utilities or sources. Download, reinstall, and reconfigure drivers directly from the applicable manufacturer's website(s).

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Gigabyte x570 AORUS PRO WIFI
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super
1TB Samsun SSD 970 EVO PLUS
Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 C18
ROG PG279Q Monitor 1440p

Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless

For game instability
The games I currently play is Tarkov and some Heroes of the Storm. I've also noticed it back when i played Warzone and Cold War
In Tarkov, Warzone and Cold War, the game would freeze frame. Yesterday while playing tarkov i'd get longer freeze frames that could last up to 5+ seconds and the audio could cut out completely or id here a desync type sound. No artifacts or anything in the image just either sutters or complete frame freeze.

Today thou Tarkov is unplayable, im getting 0.5 - 1 second stutters that don't go away. The audio will cut along with the stutters
Heroes of the Storm played like normal with the usual odd freezes I had attributed to my connection

After doing all the bios and MotherBoard updates I thought things improved because I tested gameplay with Doom Eternal before the updates and afterward. I'm able to get Doom to work better, almost perfectly so I saw an improvement with the updates. When jumping around between Nightmare and Ultra Nightmare video settings ( those are the top two presets) at 1440p I could get this weird moment where when I was in the main menu the fps wouldn't go above 30fps and the mouse cursor lagged when i moved it around. But after switching back from ULtra Nightmare to Nightmare It went back to 200-300fps and the game played beautifully. With enough back and forths between those presets along with countless restarts I could get Ultra Nightmare to work but it ran sluggishly at around 70fps

Doom - Nightmare Played 200-300fps assuming the fps wasn't 30 in menu when I start the game. LatencyMon was green
Doom - Ultra Nightmare would play sluggish at around 60-78 fps. LatencyMon would start showing problems
Heroes of the Storm had unplayable stutters only when LatencyMon was running. When turning LatencyMon off the game played like normal with the usual odd stutters ive seen for over a year that I blammed connection drops on.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want me to do here. Like I mentioned in the main post, I did update all MB Drivers/Bios and after using DDU, reinstalled the graphics card to latest drivers. Those are the only drivers I know of to update. I didn't use anything Third Party to install those drivers. Direct from manufacturer. I did use Geforce Experience after DDU so the only application.

Also these problems have been very slowly escalating over the last year. Id troubleshoot untill the problem was gone and then forget about it, but i'd still get some issues with FPS or that stutter. I always connected those issues with connection drops I can get with my ISP.

If this isn't all the information you were asking for then I apologize, you may need to elaborate more on what you are hoping for. This issue and using LatencyMon is very new to me. I didn't know this problem existed until just today. I always attributed any stutters being from my not so great ISP.

When I have some time I'm thinking of installing the OS on an extra SSD I have and see if the problem shows up again. I'm starting to wonder if its a hardware issue.

Thanks for your interest in this problem. If you need any more info i'll do my best to give it.

Ralston18

Titan
I favor manually installing drivers. Go/going to the manufacturer's website, find the applicable driver, download, re-install, and reconfigure.

That gives you more control and insight as to what is happening with respect to any given driver installation. Third party tools, apps, etc. may not be up-to-date themselves, possibly buggy, and even corrupted. Plus you have no real idea of what all they may be doing anyway.... Skip stuff like DDU.

As I understand your post above, you have already done manual installs. Good.

PSU:

Make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may be being captured when problems occur.

Varying errors and increasing numbers of errors are, in my mind, symptomatic of a faultering/failing PSU.

You can also use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time. Start by observing when not gaming and then while gaming. Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. What is happening when the problems occur?

Do you have access to another known working PSU that could be installed in your system for testing? Ensure that the PSU's wattage is enough to meet the full and peak (spikes) power demands of the host computer.

Reactions: Yapsonark

Yapsonark

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015
I favor manually installing drivers. Go/going to the manufacturer's website, find the applicable driver, download, re-install, and reconfigure.

That gives you more control and insight as to what is happening with respect to any given driver installation. Third party tools, apps, etc. may not be up-to-date themselves, possibly buggy, and even corrupted. Plus you have no real idea of what all they may be doing anyway.... Skip stuff like DDU.

As I understand your post above, you have already done manual installs. Good.

PSU:

Make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may be being captured when problems occur.

You can also use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time. Start by observing when not gaming and then while gaming. Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. What is happening when the problems occur?

Do you have access to another known working PSU that could be installed in your system for testing? Ensure that the PSU's wattage is enough to meet the full and peak (spikes) power demands of the host computer.

Corsair RM 850X Power Supply that's about 18months old now. I don't know about heavy gaming use unless you mean long gaming sessions. Not like I'm playing a lot of visually demanding games or anything. No high temps, 60-70 at most.

After opening Event Viewer, it looks like this problem has been going on for a very long time. I'm seeing a lot of warning along with errors back as far as March 23rd. Keep in mind this is all so huge and new to me I'm not entirely sure what im looking at or how to move forward from here.

Here is images of Event Viewer and Reliability History

Error:
fOdy1CQ.jpg

Warning:
Ts1hbDt.jpg

Reliability History:
uXt4wCN.jpg

-I'll give Resource Monitor a try, I often have Task Manager open on another screen during these problems to try and help guess what is going on. Aside from seeing the Video Card spike from 0-30% all the way to 100%,
I'm not entire sure what I'm looking for

As for another PSU, I'd have to gut another computer to test it since you can't mix and match Modular cables from one PSU to another. If it is a PSU problem Then wouldn't I have more problems with running Doom maxed? I tested for about an hour and had very little spikes. Might of been a coincidence thou.

Is there other ways to test a PSU? If I install windows on a spare SSD and tried running the same game, wouldn't that verify if its a software or hardware problem maybe?

Using an online Watt calculator I found from newegg and entering all my components my draw was around 525W and I'm using an 850W so assuming its not faulty it should be enough.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to try googling some of those errors to see if I can find something.

Last edited:

Yapsonark

Honorable
Apr 23, 2015

So I went ahead and Googled this error "LiveKernelEvent" 141

DGDkMtN.jpg

I found this post LiveKernelEvent 141 - Hardware failure??

And this is how it ended for him...

Ole Wedel Nielsen said:
An update to my situation:
During the last few days I have continued testing my setup. I even completely uninstalled my Oculus gear to make sure that the VR equipment wasn't the culprit. Sadly, when gaming the game continued to freeze/close down after a short while.
So I installed the test software PCMark, 3DMark (both published by Futuremark) together with the **** GPU stress-tester Furmark.
My PC fared well in the PCMark test but crashed during both of the GPU Stress tests. So I went over to a friend were we performed the exact same tests on his PC. It passed without any problems at all.
Then we switched GPUs so my PC was using my friend's GTX 1070 card and his PC was using mine. And guess what? The problem transferred to his PC whereas my PC was suddenly able to
perform all GPU Stress tests with no issues encountered at all. So now I will RMA my GPU and hopefully soon be receiving a new and better graphics card.
Thank you for all the help so far.

All I can do is hope EVGA can help me with this.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS