Question LatencyMon: Measured kernel timer latency consistently 11ms

Mikexx

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017
This a Dell i3 dual core with a CPU speed of 3.6GHz with Windows 7 that is up to date with drivers and BIOS. It has 4GB of RAM which is only part used when running Windows and LatencyMon.

The kernel time latency is consistently shown as 11.6ms and this machine is known for issues with timing.

I have an i5 (2.9GHz) with quad core that has a consistent kernel time latency of 100uS.

The difference is striking. Can anyone explain the difference by 2 orders of magnitude? The 11.6ms (+/-small jitter) feels more like a timeout rather than a true latency or possibly a windows scheduler issue.

What is also surprising is that "Measured interrupt to DPC latency is less than 100us, but "Measure interrupt to process latency can shoot up to several 7-11ms after a minute or so.

I have Windows performance switches set to max speed performance and turned off CPU throttling in BIOS but this has no noticeable effect.

Any ideas?

Mikexx

Commendable
Jul 28, 2017
Does anyone have an explanation?

Is there a better forum for discussing issues like this such as an audio forum where such behaviour would have disastrous consequences on audio streaming?

ASK THE COMMUNITY