Latest Microsoft Xbox One Bundle Containing Elite Controller, 1 TB Hybrid Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Pretty lame of Microsoft to not let you upgrade your hard drive, and then charge you for an upgrade to a model with an SSHD. I fully expect we will see a full SSD model by the end if the generation, but it might be a while.

Jan 5, 2013
Loving the Lunar white controller, that thing is looking amazing. I can't really justify $150 for a controller although I know compared to similar products it's actually reasonably priced, I guess I'm just not in the target market, nice that it's included in the bundle for a bit more of a reasonable price though

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
I would like to hear more about the, "1 TB solid state hybrid drive" - does that include NVMe support o,r the same old almost obsolete AHCI standard hard drive interface?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Loving the Lunar white controller, that thing is looking amazing. I can't really justify $150 for a controller although I know compared to similar products it's actually reasonably priced, I guess I'm just not in the target market, nice that it's included in the bundle for a bit more of a reasonable price though

Uh, the Elite controller is $150 by itself, or bundled with the Elite console. The Lunar controller you're complimenting is only $65. :p

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
LOL the price on the XBone controllers is robbery. The standard controller is $65. It doesn't even have an aluminum body. I have no idea how they can charge so much for it. There is no way the production costs come anywhere close to justifying more than $20 for the controller.
For $150, I expect them to have premium buttons and mechanical switches instead of rubber domes.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I also have another question about the hybrid ssd - how is it partitioned? 500g/500g or what?
I would like to hear more about the, "1 TB solid state hybrid drive" - does that include NVMe support o,r the same old almost obsolete AHCI standard hard drive interface?

It's a standard SATA hybrid drive. Nothing remarkable or anything that required changes to the chip set or main board. The partitioning is likely identical to the existing 500 GB models. See the iFixit teardown for details on that.

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Pretty lame of Microsoft to not let you upgrade your hard drive, and then charge you for an upgrade to a model with an SSHD. I fully expect we will see a full SSD model by the end if the generation, but it might be a while.

OTOH, adding 3 TB of additional storage to my Xbox One consisted of plugging the drive into a USB port and telling the system to go ahead and claim it all. Can't do that on the PS4. When the day soon comes that I need more space in that machine, I have to pull the existing drive and install another, losing the capacity I originally purchased as part of the machine. Currently, the PS4 still has issue with drives much larger than 2 TB, so the Nyko device for using 3.5" drives is of limited value.

I'm hoping Sony fixes the issues with Nyko (or a higher quality comparable add-on) but I'm not holding my breath.

alextheblue

Distinguished
OTOH, adding 3 TB of additional storage to my Xbox One consisted of plugging the drive into a USB port and telling the system to go ahead and claim it all. Can't do that on the PS4. When the day soon comes that I need more space in that machine, I have to pull the existing drive and install another, losing the capacity I originally purchased as part of the machine. Currently, the PS4 still has issue with drives much larger than 2 TB, so the Nyko device for using 3.5" drives is of limited value.

I'm hoping Sony fixes the issues with Nyko (or a higher quality comparable add-on) but I'm not holding my breath.

You're not wrong. At first I was like oh boy you can upgrade internal storage. But then it's like wait, I can't plug in a big external 7200RPM drive? I initially figured the inability to upgrade the internal drive easily on the XB1 would be a huge disadvantage... but they added the ability to use external drives effortlessly.

So if I eventually get an XB1, I'm going to slap a WD Black in an external aluminum housing and bam, massive storage upgrade complete with faster load times. I may get one around Christmas if there's a good bundle. I don't think I'll need the Elite though, personally, but some guys will spring for the fancy model with the high-end controller.

Honestly I'd get this one http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Halo-Guardians-Limited-Edition/dp/B0136JP9OS considering it comes with Halo 5, Xbox's largest exclusive title, and the Xbox and controller look pretty darn sweet. And it has 1Tb.

Status
Not open for further replies.