Latest Newegg Q6600's

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
So... I bought my CPU and have had it in my system for about a week. I am RMAing it now in hope to get a G0... Anyone recently get one through Newegg with G0???

I hope that I'm not waisting my time and $ to ship it back. If you look at my sig though, I would love to see what I can get for an OC on the G0 step.

oeuf

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Check the other Q6600, the where to shop/ not shop thread. I think it was mentioned in there that Newegg does not have the G0 stepped cores. But hey you never know, good luck!

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I'm starting to rethink this now after posting this, but my CPU does indeed run HOT at those specs, I would like to give G0 a shot. I've ordered form other vendors in the past, but I live the piece of mind ordering through Newegg; they've never let me down.

Sounds to me like you have a +3 bin b3 Q6600. You would at least need a +1 bin G0 Q6600 to match that. I would suggest keeping that quad.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
SHADOWMAST- I'm using a Koolance EXOS-2 Water cooler- cooling the CPU, RAM, and my 2 Raptor drives. It runs @ about 30-38C idle depending upon ambient room temp. It goes around 50-55C when under load.

ELBERT- What do you mean by "+3 bin (b3)" and "+1 bin (go)"?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Your temps are not high and your running that CPU at a good speed. I would suggest keeping it because G0 or not your not going to get much better than you have.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
That's what I'm starting to get... I'm so confused on what to do now. I've got water cooling, so I was hoping that if I get a G0 I might be able to either stay 3.6GHz with lower tempts, or aim high (towards 3.8-4.0GHz)

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

My b3 runs 3.6Ghz also but like you said hot. ntune monitor says its actually cool but riva core monitor says its 45 - 50 idle. So I backed it off to 3.3Ghz and set voltage to auto. temps dropped to 39 - 42 idle, still warmer than my old C2D but very manageable. I'm keeping it, theres no need chasing after a golder goose that may or not exist.

(forgot to note, this is water cooled dual radiator 1/2" tubing, high CFM radiator 120mm fans, high flow Eheim pump so it is getting plenty of cooling. you may get an extra 200Mhz out of a G0 but once those voltages start going up past 1.4v internal core temps jump high and you start to see problems and it won't really matter what stepping you have.) C2D's don't start to quirk till after 1.55v or higher.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Stick with B3 stepping. Honestly for all this hype, there wont be much difference, itll still get very hot, just a little less very hot lolz

Most wont even get a GO stepping Q6600 that clocks to 3.6ghz..

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
So basically the chances of getting a G0 that will perform to mine are very slim...? That sucks, becasue it should run cooler and handle more heat. I don't wanna burn my B3 up either, do you think my temps seem okay? All 3 of my last CPUs never ran that hot or anywhere near it...

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Hmm.. have heard people say they have gotten upwards to 4.0 ghz OC on their G0's.

Some have even said they get 3.4+ on air cooling.

I think there is a difference, but, it isn't worth getting rid of what you currently got installed.

You have a great OC going there, wait till next year and get a Penryn/nelahem(spelling?).

Call it a minor upgrade :) what I am doing now with my Q6600 :) Next year I do a full upgrade, drives/memory/MB/CPU/Case the whole thing. This year was a minor upgrade mb/cpu/ram :)

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
I'm not really so displeased with my OC... It's more-so the temp I'm getting. I know I'm way past stock levels and it's because of that and the VCORE increase, but I would kindof like to trying pushing for more with all of the money I just spent on the new build + the water cooling.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006

Those load temps DO seem high. I've got an EXOS2 on a PD 805 that's running at 4.1Ghz, and my load temps rarely get above the low 40's. What fan speed are you running at? Is your Radiator clogged with dust? When is the last time you flushed your coolant? Did you use too much thermal paste when you mounted the CPU block? Take a look at these issues and see if you can lower your temps somewhat before you jump to exchange what appears to be a good CPU.

localcpuguy

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
It's all brand new... No dust, cranked to fan speed 10!!! Not too much thermal paste. I think I will try either RMAing this one (and hopefully get a G0) or if I'm unlucky and get another B3, just lap it and use some arctic Silver 5 instead of what the EXOS2 came with.