Latest Nvidia Driver 416.34 Crashes Games/PC Reboots

Mikey520

Honorable
Nov 7, 2015
Lately I've been struggling with a pretty bad issue and I will try to explain in much detail as possible as to what I have ruled out.

So a week ago, I was using the previous driver 411.70. I completed Far Cry 4 with no issues. After I beat the game, I installed Driver 416.34, manually rebooted my computer, started Far Cry 4 DLC: Valley of the Yetis, and the game froze and black screen in the middle of the intro cutscene. When my monitor went to black screen my PC rebooted itself. I tried to launch Far Cry 4 and this time the game freezes in the menu about 2 minutes after launch.

I re-installed the current driver and rebooted my PC. Then I launched Far Cry 4 again and somehow it worked. I rebooted my PC once more to see if the game would still work and then I had the crash/auto-reboot problem again. Most of the time my games will freeze and I can still hear the error message in the background and Windows is still active, but I can't see what the error message says. Alt-tab doesn't work, and ctrl+alt+delete does not work as well. During that point I have to do a manual reboot by holding down the power button on my PC.

I tried to play Battlefront 2 and everything was working fine. But as of now, no matter which game I try to play, (including Battlefront 2) it crashes and my computer automatically reboots. I've tried many solutions. I used DDU and did a clean install of the previous driver and also current driver. The problem still persists.

My only conclusion is that maybe my GPU is bad. I've had it for about 4 years. A week ago I was having absolutely no issues at all. As soon as I beat Far Cry 4, installed the latest driver, my games crash. I've tried Battlefront 2 again, Assassin's Creed Origins, CS GO, and they all crash 2-4 minutes after launching. Mostly in the menus.

Right now I am just waiting until the next driver update from Nvidia. Otherwise, I'm thinking to purchase a new GTX 1060 in order to fix my issue so i can play my games again. I'm hoping I don't have to spend the money if it happens to be just a bad driver that can possibly be fixed in a future update. Any help would be very much appreciated : )

specs:

DELL XPS 730x
GPU: GTX 960
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz
Motherboard: Intel x58 chipset
memory: 12 GB RAM

Any specs I forgot to post please let me know.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
I have had problems with both 411.70 and 416.34, i would uninstall your current drivers via Device Manager and install driver 411.63 which was the last stable build IMO before RTX.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/138070/

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Have you read this, i know you are having problems in multiple games but one of these potential solutions could resolve the issue for you.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/298110/discussions/0/627456486417358966/

Mikey520

Honorable
Nov 7, 2015
Update: I decided to purchase the GTX 1060 and it solved the problem. Turns out my GTX 960 threw in the towel. With my new GPU I am able to run all of my games : )

TRENDING THREADS