News Latest PlayStation 5 Revision Uses 10% Less Power Than Predecessors

UK electric rates are 60 cents per kwh????? Holy smackers!!!!! I pay 14 cents per kwh, and I thought that was high. At 60 cents, I would put solar on every inch of my property.
The whole of the EU is screwed at the moment on energy prices, prices have roughly doubled since the start of the year and if it wasn’t for government intervention (subsiding) they would be doubling again in the next 4-6 month. As a kicker we also have limits on the maximum KWh of solar panels we are allowed to install on residential property.

Reactions: KyaraM and martinch
As a kicker we also have limits on the maximum KWh of solar panels we are allowed to install on residential property.

Is there a specific reason for that?? Producing too many kwh is a bad thing?? I can understand ground water permeability, but I feel like you should be able to install as much as you want on any non-permeable structure or paved land according to land codes. I can also understand not pumping too much back into the grid, but you should be allowed to store and use as much as you want internally to your property.

Is there a specific reason for that?? Producing too many kwh is a bad thing?? I can understand ground water permeability, but I feel like you should be able to install as much as you want on any non-permeable structure or paved land according to land codes. I can also understand not pumping too much back into the grid, but you should be allowed to store and use as much as you want internally to your property.
I believe it was because solar installs were being partially subsidised and it was a way of limiting how much each household could take. My parents came up against this as they could easily install more than they were allowed too. Personally I think it shows just how much of a mockery these government backed green initiatives are, surely the best thing for the environment is get as many installed as possible but hey what’s logic got to do with anything :ROFLMAO:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
UK electric rates are 60 cents per kwh????? Holy smackers!!!!! I pay 14 cents per kwh, and I thought that was high. At 60 cents, I would put solar on every inch of my property.
I'm in NJ, and, total, the power and the delivery charge, I think comes to about 21 cents per kwh here.

Regardless of that (I'm not a console guy), I'm always glad to see hardware get more efficient. Whether more performance for the same power consumption, or the same performance for lesser power consumption . . or of course, the more performance for less power consumption holy grail . . I just love to see that kind of progress happen.

A little bit here, a little bit there. It adds up.

UK electric rates are 60 cents per kwh?????
It's gone up massively since last autumn across Europe, largely due to the situation with Russia. As sizzling said, it would be increasing in January and then again in April (nearly doubling again), taking the average household gas & electric bill to £6,600 ($7,700) had the government not introduced a (subsidised) cap that would limit it to c.£2,500 (c.$2,900), based upon average use.

Reactions: KyaraM
D

Deleted member 14196

The UK is in extreme terrible spot right now because they decided to go green. Which makes absolutely no sense. And now the prices are skyrocketing. SO STUPID.

They better start building some new nuclear power plants quickly. Germany is screwed too and California is screwing them selves with the same stupid agenda

Solar power is never going to cut it and water power isn’t going to cut it the only thing that can save people is the new types of nuclear reactors that are much safer than the old. There is no such thing as clean energy unless we had solar cells that were 100% efficient and way to store all the power which we don’t.

And for anyone who thinks that oil is going to go away you are insane. There would be no way to make any kind of plastic. And plastic is critical to our economy in case you haven’t noticed it’s in everything so all the green weenies are stupid and their policies are absolutely ridiculous

The same goes for all the morons running the United States right now in power. It’s time to take our country back

There won’t be an electric economy without nuclear power.

Last edited by a moderator:

KyaraM

Admirable
Not sure, but they might have taken the baseline you get eg when your provider went bancrupt or you couldn't find a good one before moving in. At least that's how it is in Germany. Contracts are usually better. For example, I pay 27.8ct/kWh here, though that is already a mad good contract since it ia running for a while now; new ones are extremely expensive, I admit that. Thankfully, thede will be subsidies and a cap to most likely 30ct/kWh soon, and pay out 300€ to everyone directly, which will hopefully help. I also started to lower my consumption as much as I can; basically switched everything I could to multi-sockets that you can turn off, which should help. They are all new and good quality, too, so it should be fine and nothing will draw any power when not in use. Also tinkered with power settings for my computer, too, which also saves a couple watts.

But since I don't live in the UK, I cannot tell how bad it actually is there. I did hear from someone who lives there that they might consider planned blackouts in winter, though, so it is quite possible.

The UK is in extreme terrible spot right now because they decided to go green. Which makes absolutely no sense. And now the prices are skyrocketing. SO STUPID.

They better start building some new nuclear power plants quickly. Germany is screwed too and California is screwing them selves with the same stupid agenda

Solar power is never going to cut it and water power isn’t going to cut it the only thing that can save people is the new types of nuclear reactors that are much safer than the old. There is no such thing as clean energy unless we had solar cells that were 100% efficient and way to store all the power which we don’t.

And for anyone who thinks that oil is going to go away you are insane. There would be no way to make any kind of plastic. And plastic is critical to our economy in case you haven’t noticed it’s in everything so all the green weenies are stupid and their policies are absolutely ridiculous

The same goes for all the morons running the United States right now in power. It’s time to take our country back

There won’t be an electric economy without nuclear power.
Just that Germany's issue comes from the gas crisis, since, well...

German primary energy consumption amounted to 12,193 Petajoule, with more than 75% coming from fossil sources, 6.2% from nuclear energy and 16.1% from renewables.

Not all that much emphasis on renewable energy which you blame. Btw, at the start of the year, over 14% of the energy produced here came from natural gas, now it's a bit more than 11% still. That's quite a lot and price increases and scarcity here have a big impact on pricing. So no, it's not because we are "going green", not even close. Btw. 1/3 of energy comes from coal. Very green indeed.
Sources: Wikipedia and
https://markets.businessinsider.com...hird-electricity-coal-natural-gas-2022-9?op=1

btw, we are actively reducing plastic year over year, and alternatives such as plastics made from starch are a thing. In any case, needing a lot of plastic is absolutely nothing to be proud of or which should be continued, seeing how devastating that trash is for the environment and subsequently us, too. We are most likely already ingesting it via our food, especially fish. We shouldn't make it worse.

But since you are such an expert on nuclear energy, maybe you could answer some questions? For example, where to get all the material needed to keep the power plants running, and do you know how much energy transport, processing, and disposal costs? Talking about disposal, where is the best place to do so? I'm sure you know the answer to all those questions. Come to think of, acquisition is an issue for all fossil fuels. Where do you want to get it from? Do you know of any undiscovered deposits geologists didn't detect yet? What about the environmental issues coming from mining those?

Last, if you want to die in a natural catastrophy caused by climate warming or from an accident on a nuclear power plant, be my guest. Please leave the rest of us out of that, though.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
Reactions: martinch

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
They better start building some new nuclear power plants quickly.
"New nuclear plants" and "quickly" don't go together.

Solar power is never going to cut it and water power isn’t going to cut
Combined with wind power, why not?

it the only thing that can save people is the new types of nuclear reactors that are much safer than the old.
Why do you think that's the only solution

There is no such thing as clean energy unless we had solar cells that were 100% efficient and way to store all the power which we don’t.
Yet. And, nothing is 100% efficient, so why do you think anything less isn't clean?

Ok, now you're getting a bit too much into political ranting, and dangerously close to the kind of political misinformation that was exactly the wording used by people who literally were trying to commit sedition. As one who lives in the US, keep that right-wing authoritarian crap out of this.

D

Deleted member 14196

For climate change, I think the best solution is SMR(Small Modular Reactor) Nuclear energy. Look it up, but here's a good video. Please watch. First one was fully approved last month and should come online in 2029.

Also, it appears the UK is also investing in SMR nuclear as well. https://singularityhub.com/2022/08/...or-design-was-just-approved-by-us-regulators/

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbrT3m89Y3M
That’s exactly what I was referring to and the only thing making it take a long time to build them is politics

In the end it’s going to be a mixture of just about everything but we can’t just rule out certain fossil fuels from the start and expect our electric economy to take over because it’s just not going to work. California is mandating no more ice cars in 2030 but they’re telling the residence not to plug in their Evs because there’s not enough power. Because of government policies so don’t tell me it’s politics on my part that’s the governing factor king V

Due to California’s misguided liberal philosophy and policies, they can’t even repair the electric grid they have let alone upgrade it. Now what do they do? They won’t allow any type of nuclear in their state! It doesn’t make sense. This is insane

That’s exactly what I was referring to and the only thing making it take a long time to build them is politics

In the end it’s going to be a mixture of just about everything but we can’t just rule out certain fossil fuels from the start and expect our electric economy to take over because it’s just not going to work. California is mandating no more ice cars in 2030 but they’re telling the residence not to plug in their Evs because there’s not enough power. Because of government policies so don’t tell me it’s politics on my part that’s the governing factor king V

Due to California’s misguided liberal philosophy and policies, they can’t even repair the electric grid they have let alone upgrade it. Now what do they do? They won’t allow any type of nuclear in their state! It doesn’t make sense. This is insane

This is a technology forum, not a politics forum. Please keep that in mind. I don't come here for politics. No offense, but I think people that make politics a priority in their life are always triggered and angry all the time. I've seen it with friends that I grew up with and I see it now very heavily with people who watch national cable news regularly. Doesn't matter which side of the political spectrum either. It's good to take a break from politics and live your life a little, be happy.

You can't just sign off on new Nuclear technology. Like the drug market, the red tape is there for a reason. To protect people from disaster. They want to approve the plant, but they need to see alot of research and paperwork to demonstrate how safe it is. That's why we're going about this slowly. Once a few plants are up and running and people feel safe about using them. Then we'll see a quick ramp up of SMR production.

As of an hour ago (6pm - dark), 48% of the UK's electricity came from natural gas (combined cycle gas turbine) for which there has been a c.500% increase in price in the last year. Renewables have been averaging 45% of generation (and have had a lower cost per kWh than for fossil fuels for some time), with nuclear being around 15%. However, I fear we may be veering off topic...

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
California is mandating no more ice cars in 2030 but they’re telling the residence not to plug in their Evs because there’s not enough power. Because of government policies so don’t tell me it’s politics on my part that’s the governing factor king V

1. It's 2035, not 2030
  2. And they're not banning ICEs in 2035. They are banning the sale of new ICEs in 2035. It may surprise you to know that not everyone in California is spontaneously going to get rid of their existing cars and buy a brand new electric vehicle all at once.
  3. 2035 is over a dozen years from now. There's time to work on the infrastructure
  4. That not-plugging-in EVs was for the Labor Day weekend, and only that they urged residents not to do so during specific hours when they predicted the load would be greatest on the grid.
  5. Who the hell cares whether or not they allow any nuclear in "their" state, anyway? If they can solve the problem without using nuclear, which has its own serious issues that make it undesirable, as a stopgap, then they should definitely avoid it.
  6. When you start going "misguided liberal policies" etc and talk about insane, and talk about "taking back our government" and rant about oil, nukes, while really not doing much in terms of analysis, then it is EXACTLY politics on your part, specifically the right-wing kind of politics that tie to January 6th. Keep the anger-politics out of it. This was a thread about a more efficient PlayStation 5, and now you're screaming about the need for oil, nuclear power, ranting against the "liberals" and talking about having to "take our country back."

KyaraM

Admirable
Back on topic, is there any way to figure out which rendition you got without disassembling the console? I guess weighing is a possibility, but unless you got a really good and accurate scale, that might be ridden with errors as well... also, are the weights given for the disk or non disk version? That would be good to know beforehand, too.

Back on topic, is there any way to figure out which rendition you got without disassembling the console? I guess weighing is a possibility, but unless you got a really good and accurate scale, that might be ridden with errors as well... also, are the weights given for the disk or non disk version? That would be good to know beforehand, too.
You have to check the serial model numbers.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/the-new-version-of-the-ps5-runs-hotter-than-the-old-one
The lighter, warmer PS5 is on sale now in the UK and Australia. If you want to check which one you have, the old PS5 serial model numbers are: CF1016A (disc) and CFI-1015B (digital). The new PS5 numbers are: CFI-1116A (disc) and CFI-1100B (digital).