Latest Ubuntu For Mobile Hands-On, U.S. Model Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Szklar

Reputable
Mar 4, 2015
Ubuntu Touch is also on the Meizu MX4 - could this be it? Otherwise can a flashable ROM be made for say the Nexus line of phones/tablets? Finally I'd love to see this on the ASUS Padfone product line with the phone being able to slide into a tablet frame and then a keyboard dock with an internal battery/ports to attach to.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Ubuntu Touch is alson on the Meizu MX4 - could this be it? Otherwise can a flashable ROM be made for say the Nexus line of phones/tablets? Finally I'd love to see this on the ASUS Padfone product line with the phone being able to slide into a tablet frame and then a keyboard dock with and internal battery/ports to attach to.

You're right that the Meizu phone has Ubuntu. Canonical had that model in the booth, as well. But it is not coming to the U.S.

You're also correct that you can flash a Nexus device with an Ubuntu ROM. But to me, that is not the same as seeing an actual Ubuntu phone ship to the U.S.

To your last point: Interesting idea...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
While I'm not a fan of Ubuntu Linux, I'd happily take a phone running Ubuntu just to have something different. I've had Windows Mobile, Windows Phone 7.x/8.x, Blackberry and Android. Now I want something different. I want a dockable Ubuntu phone that can be connected to a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Ubuntu can be flashed to a Nexus phone, but you have to install Ubuntu on your computer to do it. That's the only thing stopping me from flashing my N4 with Ubuntu Touch.

connienew

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
The most interesting factor is that Ubuntu phone is designed to run on android compatible hardware, and has less requirements than an android device. It simply borrows the android drivers for the device. This implies that any rooted android phone can be converted to run Ubuntu phone. What Ubuntu Touch has done is given the android device owning multiverse a choice...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
According to Canonical only certain Android devices will run Ubuntu Touch. Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus are the only officially supported Android devices. There are more devices that appear to have community support though. The only downside to flashing an Android phone with Ubuntu Touch, is the requirement to install Ubuntu on a PC first. The flash from Android to Ubuntu Touch has to be done through Ubuntu and not Windows. At least according to Canonical anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.