News Latest Windows 10 Up Causes Frame Rates to Plummet and BSODs

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I'm running version 2004 b21359 of Win10x64, and do not have either update cited here. As well, I have none of the problems cited here. Tech Radar's info on all things Win10 is unreliable at best--I've never had the problems they cite--along with the fallacy that everyone running Win10x64 has those errors...;) They don't. As well, no one should be running 1903 or 1909 as 2004 has been shipping for a while now and last I checked was a free update. What some will do for a page hit--it's kind of sad, really.

What some will do for a page hit--it's kind of sad, really.
So reporting computer related news on a computer based forum and reporting site is sad? Plenty of people are on older builds due to many reasons like versioning controls, or manually setting updates to off. Just because YOU do not have a problem with your particular system that does not mean others in different scenarios will not. I cannot imagine putting any trust in a Windows update not screwing something up, can you?

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
No issues on 4 of my machines. My Windows HTPC/NAS just took the update, of course it rebooted automatically which is more infuriating than the bugs.

Aye, no problems noted as of yet.
Heck, I haven't experienced any serious issues with the OS in the almost 9 years I've been using it.
9 years and no issues?! Wow!
Do you throw a salted horseshoe over your right shoulder knocking over the ladder just before the black cat breaks 7 mirrors, every morning before you sit down at your computer??

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
So reporting computer related news on a computer based forum and reporting site is sad? Plenty of people are on older builds due to many reasons like versioning controls, or manually setting updates to off. Just because YOU do not have a problem with your particular system that does not mean others in different scenarios will not. I cannot imagine putting any trust in a Windows update not screwing something up, can you?

I participated in letting people know that I wasn't having these problems so as to clear the air that these problems were not universal. As well, you should also realize that when people have problems in their systems it may, or may not, be due to the OS they are running. I see that several others have chimed in with similar reports. So now you know that it isn't just me...;)

USAFRet

Titan
Do you throw a salted horseshoe over your right shoulder knocking over the ladder just before the black cat breaks 7 mirrors, every morning before you sit down at your computer??
In all the Windows versions and updates....I've never ever had an Update cause an issue.
Across a wide range of hardware, and Win versions since before 3.0.

Including Win 10 from Day 1 of the initial Tech Preview.

In all the Windows versions and updates....I've never ever had an Update cause an issue.
Across a wide range of hardware, and Win versions since before 3.0.

Including Win 10 from Day 1 of the initial Tech Preview.
This is crazy in my mind!

Even if I take out the tens of thousands of Windows systems I've supported in career environments, and just include my personal computers, I have had updates mess up every OS I've used from Windows 98 on up. Windows 10 being the worst, by far.
Now, I don't mean that it always messes up enough to cause an OS reload. Sometimes it's a minor driver issues with the camera, mic, printer, sound card, etc., a setting that gets reset, or something stupid like an update messing up perfmon logging, but, yeah, I've seen it a lot.

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
You know when MS will stop raping users?
When politicians finally do something for people and when MS will be forced to pay users for their crap.
It is really fantastic where MS came in last 10 years, since Win7. Literally there is no update, no piece of MS software without serious bugs!
Very big reason for all hacking crap is MS and their crappy updates. Users, including me, are literally scared to install update cause it might mean reinstallation and/or hours lost. Not to mention what happens to mental health.

USAFRet

Titan
You know when MS will stop raping users?
When politicians finally do something for people and when MS will be forced to pay users for their crap.
It is really fantastic where MS came in last 10 years, since Win7. Literally there is no update, no piece of MS software without serious bugs!
Very big reason for all hacking crap is MS and their crappy updates. Users, including me, are literally scared to install update cause it might mean reinstallation and/or hours lost. Not to mention what happens to mental health.
You do have options, ya know.

Apple and Linux.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
IDK what to make of it.
I've broken/crashed the system from unstable cpu cpu/ram overclocks far more often than anything Windows Update might have done.

It seems to be a living nightmare for others...

IDK what to make of it.
I've broken/crashed the system from unstable cpu cpu/ram overclocks far more often than anything Windows Update might have done.

It seems to be a living nightmare for others...
Some people are lucky and/or have the right components to not have issues, I guess.
Of my three systems currently running Windows 10 only one of them is a standard Windows 10 Home. I run LTSC on my desktop and business laptop so I don't have to deal with surprise updates or things like Cortana or Edge.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
These type of bugs are why forced updates shouldnt exist.
If you have the Pro version, you can defer updates by up to three months with an update policy. That way, Microsoft has three months to screw others over and pull an update before you get screwed. Or you can disable automatic updates altogether. I do both so I don't get screwed by a botched patch when I do a manual update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
looks for the chicken little tag

Were these all articles written anticipating 21H1 was out this week and had to be hurriedly repurposed to link to a random patch instead? It sure feels like it me, everyone knew 21H1 was either this week or next month.

I got patch a few days ago, no bugs. People say thats cause I "work" here but I doubt it works that way.