[SOLVED] Latest Windows 10 Update shows “SrtTrail.txt” Error

Jun 27, 2020
Hello,

Last night I shut down my PC as usual and I noticed there was a Windows Update to be done. I clicked on “Update and shut down“. I didn‘t think much of it as I thought it was just a normal Windows update. This morning I noticed my PC instantly booted into the automatic repair screen. After some loading it told me that “Automatic Repair couldn‘t repair your PC“ with the Log file: “D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt“

“C:” is my SSD where Windows is installed
“D:” is my HDD where I keep most of my personal files.

I tried numerous things from following YouTube tutorials and typing different commands into the command prompt (most of them didn‘t work and/or did absolutely nothing), to trying to uninstall the latest update which also didn‘t work.

The only thing that worked was restoring Windows from a previous point in time. I actually had the same problem a few weeks back and solved it this way. But trying to solve it once again I ran into another problem. When finishing restoring from automatic backup, my PC restarts as usual and instead of logging into Windows, it immediately shows the Windows restarting screen. I waited for more than 45 minutes and nothing had happened. It is infinitely restarting. And by that I don‘t mean a reboot loop. It is just stuck at the “Restarting“ screen with the Windows loading dots.

I tried restarting my PC manually by physically pressing the restart button on my computer case. After rebooting it takes me to the automatic repair screen once again with the same “SrtTrail.txt” error.

I have also reset my BIOS back to default which also didn‘t solve my problem.

Please let me know if you would like further details, as this is a quite specific problem. I‘d be glad if anyone knows a common solution to this problem.

Specs:
MB: B150 Gaming M3
Ventus MSI GeForce RTX 2060
Intel Core i7-6700
be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W
16GB RAM (not sure if DDR3 or DDR4)

Solution
what they said. Its fastest answer to that problem

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Anything on C you have to save?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once its all copied off the ssd C is on, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

remove hdd from PC while installing onto ssd, or at least, remove its data cable

Armoredhound

Reputable
Jun 25, 2020
Had the same problem before.

Your problem is what everyone calls "broken windows". There are special commands which are ran in the boot cmd which can help you restore system files.

I have tried everything too but the only solution was to format my ssd and reinstall Windows on it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what they said. Its fastest answer to that problem

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Anything on C you have to save?
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once its all copied off the ssd C is on, follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

remove hdd from PC while installing onto ssd, or at least, remove its data cable

Solution