Discussion Latest Windows 10 update

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I got home from work today and booted up my pc. Did some of the usual check email listen to music etc... hour later I noticed an update had downloaded and just needed to reboot. What could be the harm *shrugs shoulders and clicked reboot now. Walked away and came back to a black screen and my fans at 100%. Did a hard reboot and after the bios logo got BSOD inaccessible boot device. Been in a time loop for the past two hours. Cleared CMOS even tickled my NVME a bit. I was able to remove the update through advanced settings but, still wont boot, not even into safe mode, and windows wont restore from my two restore points. Tomorrow I'm going to try to restore from a backup I have in a trusty external drive. If that doesn't work excuse my French <Mod Edit> I'm just doing a fresh install. Been two years since I got this error so I guess my time was up. Any thoughts on half-n-half or heavy cream for coffee? Yeah yeah this is more of rant than a cry for help, but if you have made it this far Kill the Irishman is a great movie. Saw it the other day I don't know what took me so long to see it, highly recommend it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My last win10 update took place two days ago, it took longer than usual and it seems to be stuck at 73% for eternity, I were like "well, it will be a restoration". Fortunately the process suddenly kicked on again and it finished an hour later.

Reactions: M3rKn
Sadly I have a Dell laptop that every automatically installed Windows 10 update build since 1803 has bricked.

See, it came with Dell MediaDirect which tinkers with the MBR--pressing the Mediadirect button flips a bit in the BIOS to boot from LBA sector 3 (which unhides a hidden HPA on the disk) instead of the usual LBA sector 0. Any update that rewrites the MBR messes this up and corrupts the partition table. If Microsoft will do this repeatedly to millions of Dells, then I guess their QA is really lacking.

BTW to fix it every time, I simply do a clean install of the latest build, then overwrite everything on the fresh new system partition (obviously not the boot partition) with the nonbooting OS. Apparently the update actually "takes" fine, it just cannot be made to boot afterwards with any type of bootrec repair.

Reactions: M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
It's not strange, Windows 10 is notorious to break the computers with updates that don't end well.

That's why I always have the whole system cloned once a week to another SSD, for just in case.
This doesn't even sound overkill to me. Idk why I am not doing it haha. I'm doing a reset this moment as my last resort before I do a clean install. And I thought I was doing my due diligence with my manual restore points.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
My last win10 update took place two days ago, it took longer than usual and it seems to be stuck at 73% for eternity, I were like "well, it will be a restoration". Fortunately the process suddenly kicked on again and it finished an hour later.
Glad it finally worked out for you. I guess I got too comfortable. All my updates for the past two years have been smooth. The only updates I've done that made me nervous are bios updates.

USAFRet

Titan
This doesn't even sound overkill to me. Idk why I am not doing it haha. I'm doing a reset this moment as my last resort before I do a clean install. And I thought I was doing my due diligence with my manual restore points.
Full clone once a week?
I do incremental backups every night.
I can roll back to any day in the last month.

But...I've never had a Windows update screw up the system.
Across any of my systems, Win 10 or earlier...

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Sadly I have a Dell laptop that every automatically installed Windows 10 update build since 1803 has bricked.

See, it came with Dell MediaDirect which tinkers with the MBR--pressing the Mediadirect button flips a bit in the BIOS to boot from LBA sector 3 (which unhides a hidden HPA on the disk) instead of the usual LBA sector 0. Any update that rewrites the MBR messes this up and corrupts the partition table. If Microsoft will do this repeatedly to millions of Dells, then I guess their QA is really lacking.

BTW to fix it every time, I simply do a clean install of the latest build, then overwrite everything on the fresh new system partition (obviously not the boot partition) with the nonbooting OS. Apparently the update actually "takes" fine, it just cannot be made to boot afterwards with any type of bootrec repair.
I suppose this is similar to what's happening to me. I disconnected all my drives except my boot drive. Tried to reconfigure my bios but all the settings are correct. I cleared cmos once, but every time the boot fails and I restart I get a promt telling me cmos has been cleared, so it seems to have been doing it automatically which is something I haven't encountered before.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Full clone once a week?
I do incremental backups every night.
I can roll back to any day in the last month.

But...I've never had a Windows update screw up the system.
Across any of my systems, Win 10 or earlier...
First time a Windows update caused a BSOD for me too. I have had this error before but it was caused bu my bios configuration and how I configured windows in my boot drive. Luckily I have backups, but seems I have to get past this "inaccessible boot device" error first before I can even attempt that. All the normal tricks seems to have no effect.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
After the clean install yesterday I was able to get everything back to normal. Luckily I don't have anything of value on my boot drive. My games, files, photos, and videos are all on separate drives. So I just restored everything from one of my backups. However, SAM doesn't seem to work. I can't say if this is related to the latest update that caused my BSOD Inaccessible Boot Device error. After getting everything set up and all my drives back in order I went back into bios to do some extra tweeking. Whenever I enable SAM and reboot my drives disappear and I get another BSOD error. This is a different error, because before I did the clean install all my drives were visible in the bios. If I disble SAM in bios my drives reappear. I also noticed my bios mode is now on Legacy, I had it set up for UEFI before. I can't remember if this is something I need to configure prior to doing a clean install, but I know how to change this via CMD. Maybe SAM is not compatible with the latest Windows update and causes the inaccessible boot device error.