Latest Windows 8 Leak Shows New Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

There is also supposed to be support for SMS.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/20/new-windows-8-leak-hints-at-sms-support-feature-licensing-geo/

G

So their updating the onscreen keyboard that has been around for years. Are they updating the calculator too?

aoneone

May 27, 2011
What the hell is new about this?

Onscreen keyboard Devorak's been around since Windows 95.

Gimmie a break this insult added to Justin Beiber theme ? Good lord, what else are we expected before our firey demise? ^^ Have a nice day. =)

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]So their updating the onscreen keyboard that has been around for years. Are they updating the calculator too?[/citation]

Ohhh man, If they could give my a scientific graphing calculator that could transfer the graphs to office I would wet myself!

Hothr

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Oh good! It has emoticons built in! Now I can add a 8-P face for two key presses instead of 4.

Am I the only adult male who finds it embarrassing to use even the basic :)

Imagine if they had a calculator that had more power than my TI-89!

G

for God sake get something like swype, it cant be that hard, buy them out if you have to.....

christop

Distinguished
I have got over being taken on vista. Now 7 is the new well kinda for me how in the hell does ms think people are going to jump on win8 when most have just switched to 7.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
No, no, NO! **** this! Why the hell is every software developer so set on taking the physical keyboard and mouse away from us?! Just what the the hell is wrong with it? Oh yeah, it's "old" by now, I get it! Stupid show-offs...

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Great and no one really cares. I knew this would happen MS. Since MS can't use Windows 7 as a backdrop to upgrade to Windows 8 like they did with Windows Vista for Windows 7, they have to screw around with stuff that already works by adding bloatware and garbage onto their OS.

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
How about...no. Too slow. They'd have better luck making a material for the screen that doesn't leave fingerprints than getting people to use that "keyboard".

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]So their updating the onscreen keyboard that has been around for years. Are they updating the calculator too?[/citation]
The onscreen keyboard was updated in Vista (as part of tablet input panel only) and again in 7 (used throughout the whole OS). This is just another regular-ish update between versions.

Calculator was updated in 7 (but still not as cool as the XP Powertoy Calculator which did have graphing functions). We'll just have to wait and see if calculator gets another update.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]No, no, NO! **** this! Why the hell is every software developer so set on taking the physical keyboard and mouse away from us?! Just what the the hell is wrong with it? Oh yeah, it's "old" by now, I get it! Stupid show-offs...[/citation]
They aren't taking it away, this is just an option for when you don't have a physical keyboard. It was even in Windows XP under Accessibility Options

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Oh, great. More shit "borrowed" from KDE (like the backspace key indicator).

The smileys are total crap. What is that ? A bowl of rice ?? Trying to suck up to Asian people now ?

[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Oh, great. More shit "borrowed" from KDE (like the backspace key indicator).The smileys are total crap. What is that ? A bowl of rice ?? Trying to suck up to Asian people now ?[/citation]

linux fanboi much?

dear people who cannot think clearly. These add-ons on win8 will just be add-ons, not required. The idea is to have the SAME os no matter if you are on your smartphone, tablet, PC, or telekenetic interface. The tools for these new devices require different ways of doing input, but if you have a good ol KVM setup you can still use it (I know I will). Now there are some legit complaints here:
1: Come on Toms, this was in the win8 video... they talked about it and explained the whole split keyboard thing... this is not new news much less a leak when it comes from the corporate mouth!
2: Windows needs to have a separate interface for different devices. Tiles are great on a smart phone which has a few but specific uses (recently took a look at phone7 and was surprised at the complaints I have heard about it... it works fine). Tiles are less important on a tablet, nearly useless on your home computer, and entirely irrelevant and unwanted in the work-space. I am all for change, but I am even more for design. Your bike doesn't look like a car. They are both modes of transport, but they have different needs, different uses, different strengths, weaknesses, etc. So it is with the plethora of computing devices. Some are utilities that are good for specific tasks like phones that are good for talking, skyping, and other geographic research (GPS, calendars, routes, local stores, etc). But you will never write a book on a phone. It is the wrong tool for the job. Any-who, you get my point, different tools means a different way of interacting with the device. Make the core OS the same (how software interacts with hardware and handles inter-connectivity between devices and files), but make the interface specific to the tool. We are not that dumb that we need uniformity to the point of needing tiles on our coffee pot, we will figure out how to use the thing.
But in all likely hood they are just showing off the new stuff, and most of this will be able to be disabled in the desktop version, or partially disabled in the tab/netbook environment.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
REMEMBER: This is useful for TABLETS, getit? Especially when it splits the keyboard to the two sides.... NOBODY forced anybody to use a virtual keyboard. It you don't like it don't use it.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Dumbing it all down to the lowest common demoninator with smiley faces and touch screens for those who can't manage dedicated input / output devices. F it, might as well buy an Apple Mac (just kidding, wouldn't do that come hell or high water).

Status
Not open for further replies.