[SOLVED] Latest Windows [desktop] update - remove unneccessary bloatware

eco_bach

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2015
So just installed the latest update which seems quite large. I now see a WindowsApps folder in ProgramFiles that is over 5GB in size!
How do I easily remove this and any other unnecessary files? Simply selecting, right-clicking and deleting won't work. You get a popup message saying you need permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder.

Solution
Thanks but AFAIK most of the .exe's in the WindowsApps folder are not visible in Apps&Features list
Correct, some of them are not.
But you can't do a simple 'delete'.
Find the relevant Tile, and see if there is an Uninstall under RightClick.

If not...:(

And please don't try to change ownership from TrustedInstaller. Many many things will break.

USAFRet

Titan
So just installed the latest update which seems quite large. I now see a WindowsApps folder in ProgramFiles that is over 5GB in size!
How do I easily remove this and any other unnecessary files? Simply selecting, right-clicking and deleting won't work. You get a popup message saying you need permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder.
You need to Uninstall, not a simple 'delete'.

Settings-Apps-uninstall as desired.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks but AFAIK most of the .exe's in the WindowsApps folder are not visible in Apps&Features list
Correct, some of them are not.
But you can't do a simple 'delete'.
Find the relevant Tile, and see if there is an Uninstall under RightClick.

If not...:(

And please don't try to change ownership from TrustedInstaller. Many many things will break.

Solution